Germinating seed issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germinating seed issues

I have gone 3 for 20 on starting seeds using various methods: paper towels, root riot, peat pellet, all with a sprouting heat mat. I get a small tap root, 1/4 -3/8" that is tight to the seed body then it stops. Seeds are from 2 different stores. All of my tomato seeds that were next to them did great. It has got to be something i'm doing. Thanx in advance.

Are you planting the tap root and giving it 3 to 4 days to sprout? I've never had a seed show tap root then not sprout. Soaking seeds for 24 hrs, using paper towel method for 48 hrs, then 2 to 4 days to sprout. If planting but not sprouting keeping pots off ground and using a dome to hold heat and humidity help. I'll also use a heating mat.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GroBuddy; 05-22-2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I use a wet napkin under a plastic lid for sprouting. Usually 24 hrs and some swelling happens and the second day the root comes out. I let it go another day then put in a pre soaked 16 oz Dixie cup of soil with tweezers. Usually up on the 5th day. I've used the seed starting soil, peat cubes and FoxFarm soils. I think the regular soil medium works best. Current seedlings are in some peat seed soil and they are nutrient deprived.

I've had quite a few issues though after that with about 50% failure the last three grows.

Comment

Try not burying it too deep in the cup. I don't use a heating mat but they sit in a warm area, it sometimes takes 3days more or less to crack don't wait till you have a long taproot and the shell will fall off the sprout most the time when it breaks through the soil.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I have been having issues lately and never had a problem before. I went 0 for 6 on a fresh pack of ace seeds panama. If it was just them I would chalk it up to bad beans but am having problems with a few vendors seeds and just recently. Cracked a seed open that had it's tap root poking thru a few days prior like normal and found an itty bitty maggot munching on the insides. Since then every seed that didn't come up has had that maggot. I'm going to bake my seed starting soil for now. It's store bought soil.
          keeping it green with the soil thing
          love me some frosty autos
          braap
          BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
          Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
          the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
          blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

Newbie here but I am 12/12 on seeds from three different sources and three different groups. One was even from from a friends Cherry Wine that hermied on him. Do you keep them under a lamp? I read somewhere that is it best to keep them in a cool dark place until they sprout and so that is what I've been doing. 1/4" deep in moist potting soil, plastic cover on to keep the humidity up, and set in a dark closet at room temp (~75F). All popped within 3 days.

Comment

• GroBuddy
              GroBuddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Takes 2 to 3 days under light. But that's what I do, when my seeds go in soil they go under the veg light. I'll keep them in a dark, cool, humid place until then.

Originally posted by Jackaroo View Post
            I have gone 3 for 20 on starting seeds using various methods: paper towels, root riot, peat pellet, all with a sprouting heat mat. I get a small tap root, 1/4 -3/8" that is tight to the seed body then it stops. Seeds are from 2 different stores. All of my tomato seeds that were next to them did great. It has got to be something i'm doing. Thanx in advance.

YO dude, only potential tip i can offer is that in general the initial taproot only tends to stop growing if it's sitting in too much water, as it's got no reason to explore - it sounds like you're soaking them well enough to get the initial shell crack, though after cracking it helps to allow paper towel/medium to dry out abit so taproot is encouraged to grow out searching for water - i soak my medium thoroughly pre-pop then just keep it slightly moist-to-dry after the pop.

Also if seeds remain sitting in too much water after pop, then they're much more prone to rot & die - the taproot should ideally always be a bright a white as possible, and though slight yellowing is not the end of the world, once it goes browny/yellow then it's dead & gone. If you're seeing the little tails all shrink & start browning off, then sitting in excess water is usually the cause.

IF not sitting in too much water, then only possible other explanation is they don't like something about your water - most likely culprit is always chlorine & chloramine, as little taproots really hate it, and that could explain why you're seeing same results over different mediums. Water Temperature is also important, as too cold can cause root shock, especially if the medium is already heated, though tbf Temp alone is unlikely to kill them, it'll more just stunt their growth only. pH isn't so important until you've actually got a root zone going, though maybe also check if possible that your water isn't wildly alkaline or acidic, as crazy pH numbers would still cause damage & death to little taproots too.

There's always the possibility you've just got duff or old seed stock, but normally dud seeds just won't pop full stop - if they're all popping ok but then dying with little tails poking out, that's likely to be an environmental issue, not age or genetics, etc.

Regarding paper towel method only, I have also had issues with using certain toilet roll & kitchen towels, as alot of the more expensive brands often have some sort of coating or chemical infusion. I've previously found some seeds just didn't seem to like the paper they popped in, and using just cheapo, basic, school type paper towels was the best. Again though, since you're trying lots of different mediums it's unlikely this alone is the problem, and i would still guess over-watering after pop to be the issue.

I'll wish you all the best with the next batch dude!
            Last edited by DaGreenBlazer; 05-25-2022, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Jack, I use the paper towel method between two saucers. I place them on a heat mat for a couple hours a day and mist them water that I’ve added a pinch of sugar to. When the tap root appears, I place it in my soil carefully, with tweezers, and put it under the light. I’ve tried other methods, but this is what works best for me. Like DaGreen said, I use the cheap towels like the ones they have in restrooms.
              Good luck!
              Photo Grow: 2 Strawberry Cough
              Manifold Training
              4x2x6 Grow Tent
              (2) ViparSpectras 450W LED
              AC Infinity Cloudline T6 & Carbon Filter
              Extra Fan, Humidifier
              FFOF Soil
              FF Trio Nutes
              Temp: 80* RH: 50%
              Well Water Adjusted to 6.5 ph

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X