Android Photone users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android Photone users?

I just got some lights that have been reviewed enough to make me think that the seller's ppdf's are close enough to work with. I measure less that half that number with Android Photone on my Samsung Tab S4. Sure, I can calibrate my tablet based on what I have but that makes me question whether I didn't have enough light before the new ones... I don't really have a question (and I got much better light now) but I read some old threads on Photone here so I thought I'd throw some more info into the mix.

Last edited by 90Gizmo; 05-20-2022, 08:17 PM.
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

What does the app show outside on a bright sunny day at noon? Last phone I had topped out at a third actual value compared to my LUX meter.

Comment

• 90Gizmo
      90Gizmo commented
      Editing a comment
      1880 at noon. That's crazy that's probably 2x not .5x error. Guessing that the light sensor is saturated and making up numbers.
      Last edited by 90Gizmo; 05-23-2022, 12:19 PM.

Greetings @90Gizmo,

For what it's worth, I have found PhoTone on my iPhone to be really accurate without any additional calibration. I compared the published specs for my ViparSpectra XS 2000 lights with phoTone readings at 12" & 18" and they were an almost perfect match. I also compared the PhoTone DLI readings with the calculated values based on PPFD and 12 hours of light and they were close enough to inspire confidence.

-Grouchy
    My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
    I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
    Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• 90Gizmo
      90Gizmo commented
      Editing a comment
      grouchyoldman, you got me thinking to try a different phone. My old LG V10 read 840 against the expected 1000. While low, it's within the expected error range according to the Photone web site. I also saw that way all the way right is a source type for "Sun" that I had missed so my previous reports on noon Sun readings are invalid. I'm not expecting noon Sun again for a few days. I'll post back when I can. Maybe I can dig up a few more phones.

• grouchyoldman
      grouchyoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi @90Gizmo,

I was most interested in comparing PhoTone readings with the published PPFD maps of various LED fixtures under controlled distance conditions. I was blown away by the accuracy, precision and repeatability of the PhoTone meter. I originally used a lighter gauge paper for the Diffuser, but once I got that right I came to trust the info from this app. I use it all the time now as the grow conditions change, especially during the flowering stretch.

• 90Gizmo
      90Gizmo commented
      Editing a comment
      Friendly grouchyoldman, it was a chicken or the egg situation for me. But yes, now that I'm raising the lights every other day I'm using Photone quite a lot.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X