Help: are my pots too small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: are my pots too small?

Pots too small? Auto flower seed package said 2 to 3 gallon containers. The pots used just under 1 cubic foot of soil so I figure the pots are average a bit over 2 gallons. I just bent the big fan leaves down and I think that makes the girls look plump... I just got back from the local hydro center and was told if the leaves hang over the edge of the pots then the plants need to be transplanted to bigger pots. The lady is a grower and it's the one that recommended these seeds to me but but but I've read so many places that said to leave auto flowers alone once planted. I think they're looking pretty good so I'm thinking to leave them alone but I have zero experience so what do I know?
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

People grow in solo cups and harvest. Granted the size of the container is a limiting factor and may impact your harvest. It may also require more attention paid to watering and nutes. Now with that in mind and others stuff not currently thought of , does it justify the risk of stressing out your plants by up potting.

currently other than the discoloration of a couple bottom leaves your plants appear healthy.

Remember ultimately we are responsible for what we do to our plants.
    “Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young
    ”I think I can, I think I can…”the little engine that could

Comment

• 90Gizmo
      90Gizmo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your reply. I'd like to up-vote the troubleshooting guide as it led me to fix a pH problem. That got fixed about the time of the fourth true leaves. New growth looks is looking better. I see your point. These plants are the bird in the hand. No need to gamble.

Originally posted by cybersmib View Post
    People grow in solo cups and harvest. Granted the size of the container is a limiting factor and may impact your harvest. It may also require more attention paid to watering and nutes. Now with that in mind and others stuff not currently thought of , does it justify the risk of stressing out your plants by up potting.

currently other than the discoloration of a couple bottom leaves your plants appear healthy.

Remember ultimately we are responsible for what we do to our plants.
    great knowledge, really. Thank you

Comment

Plants will grow to the size of their pots to a certain extent. I'll start all my autos in starter pots then transplant at week 3 into 5 gallons. To a certain extent meaning autos will only get so big regardless of the size pot, using more space than needed or enough space will only aid in plant health, size and yield. Photos will only get as big as the pot and veg time allow. Those flowering autos I grew during winter so they only recieved 8 to 10 hrs of direct light. The other autos are growing now, pics are from 3wks and 6wks
      Attached Files

Comment

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. Your plants look very good. I'm just learning training so I learn a lot from people's pics.

Originally posted by 90Gizmo View Post
      Pots too small? Auto flower seed package said 2 to 3 gallon containers. The pots used just under 1 cubic foot of soil so I figure the pots are average a bit over 2 gallons. I just bent the big fan leaves down and I think that makes the girls look plump... I just got back from the local hydro center and was told if the leaves hang over the edge of the pots then the plants need to be transplanted to bigger pots. The lady is a grower and it's the one that recommended these seeds to me but but but I've read so many places that said to leave auto flowers alone once planted. I think they're looking pretty good so I'm thinking to leave them alone but I have zero experience so what do I know?
      As soon as theres room enough to pinch and bind over, that's when I start training especially with autos the sooner the better due to the short veg time you don't have long to work with getting the lower sites going before flower stretch.
      Attached Files

Comment

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm kicking myself for trying to get my sprouts to grow straight up I tried but think the stalks are too stiff now. I go back to my grow log and write in red the things I should have done. I've staked down bottom branches to open up the inside of the plant but done nothing to the tops. I see you're working off sticks on the top parts of your plants. I'm not sure what I need to do to the tops yet but thanks for the great idea.

• GroBuddy
        GroBuddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea once autos start flowering it's too late. The strength of the stalk is irrelevant. Just changes the strength you have to use to pinch it and falls more into super cropping. Autos I'll top at 5 to 6 nodes before 3 wk. Seedlings have a 2wk seedling period before veg. Autos I'll get the last of week 2 or week 3 at or before
        transplant. Mostly anyways some autos grow too small too long and flower out of nowhere.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X