Mold on soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mold on soil

OK I got my pots and buckets ready for the next grow. Pots filled, no seeds yet, lower half with “super soil mixed last summer and left out in a black barrel and the top half with peat moss and everything mixed with @30% perlite. @ 2weeks later wifey goes out and checks...sees mold growing on top. We lost a good part of our best plant last grow to mold so I’m not liking it but, perhaps it’s better this way? Who knows? Anyone?
    New indoors grower.
    super soil, Pmoss, perlite mix
    2-100w dimmable quantum led panels
    2’x3’ grow space lined with auto windshield reflectors.
    4” carbon filter + other exhaust fans + one 6” fan on the plants.
    Dyna Grow + nutrients

Show me some pics of that “mold”. It may be mycelium? A common occurrence with organic soil and any soil. I get excited when I see that.

Comment

Cali I’ll be happy to get those pic that could be exciting for you tomorrow AM. Thanks much for the reply.
      New indoors grower.
      Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

Cali , hope this is the good stuff.

New indoors grower.
        Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

There is DE mixed into the top inch or so.
          New indoors grower.
          Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

I popped open a container of soil that sat for a few months and saw this

Comment

GuitboxTom That’s mycelium the good stuff. My pots get like that after top dressing with malted barley. Worm castings things like that. Humidity Will doit also, I cover the top of my pots to keep in humidity and they get covered in it. Think of it as the internet. For example in nature a tree will communicate with another tree miles away thru the mycelium network so if a tree gets hit with pest they will alert the trees near by and they will put up their defenses. A good book to read is mycelium running. That will teach you a lot more than I can.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
                TOKABIGONE commented
                Editing a comment
                100% agree with Cali this is a very good sign in your new mix or pot. I mix on plastic on the floor and cover for a week after wetting to slightly damp throughout to get a mycelium colony established before I pot. In a couple days when I look under the cover I see the white interconnecting webs and I know it's working. Just don't let the pot dry out or the colony will die and need to be re-established. Soil growers of all mixes should look for this!

PRIMO you could plant straight into that and would have no issues.

Comment

Cali Thanks for the info bro, I kinda thought that but didn't know for sure. I always wondered what those sneaky Aspen trees were whispering about.

Comment

Good thing to know, ty. I have seen that before and I attacked it with peroxide.
                  Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I did the exact same thing Ck! i still had the spray bottle in my hand when it occurred to me what I had just done! It was a panic reaction to seeing it. For generations we have been taught: Mold = Bad!
                    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
                    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
                    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
                    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
                    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
                    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
                    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
                    make pH correction unnecessary
                    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
                    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
                    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
                    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

For generations we have been taught: Mold = Bad! [/QUOTE]
                      Yes bad for humans not plants. And plants are not humans...yet! Though it could be argued that some humans are plants! Same thing with dogs. The biggest problem people have with dogs is themselves assuming the dog can understand complete sentences like (some) humans. I’ve been a successful dog trainer. They relate to human as a dog and only understand body language and 1or2 syllables. So stop sending them text messages!
                      New indoors grower.
                      Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

• Puglover1
                        Puglover1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow ... is there any hope that I can alter the behaviour of a 6 yr old hyperactive pug who really knows more words than the average dog? He was very independent at 6 weeks old, I gave him too much slack. I own that mistake but would like to make improvements if possible. Thanks.

When I see mold I know I am watering too much. But I just stir it up into the top of the soil. I try and keep a fan blowing on the soil but the circulation isn't the best with just a 6" fan in one spot.

Comment

Thanks for all the support. I decided to go with CocoLoco and Jacks 321 and it’s going great!
                        New indoors grower.
                        Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X