Some questions about harvest and possible deficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some questions about harvest and possible deficiency

So the setup probably isn't so important at this point so I will dispense with a ton of details. Scotts potting soil, Miracle Grow Bloom Booster, Vivosun 2000 LED lights. My question is... is this common? I've got Blueberry regular seeds that I ordered and sorted the males and females. In another post I described how I selectively pollinated the females with a single male.

Now I'm at 8 weeks 12/12 flowering to the day, and I checked the trichomes under the microscope, expecting them to be more or less still mostly clear and some maybe turned cloudy. Given that the hairs are mostly still white, this is what I *expected*. But to my wonder and surprise the trichomes are about 90% cloudy and 10% amber (or more). So based on everything I know it's time to harvest. But to look at them, compared to past grows where the hairs were nearly 100% browned, how is this possible? The leaves (tiny clippings off the buds) I selected to look under the microscope were about midway up the plant and all very green and healthy looking.

As I understand it Blueberry is a very Indica dominant strain. So I figured the harvest would be soon, but I was expecting another 1-2 weeks at the very least.

What do you all think? Wait another week or take them down? I don't want them to go too far into the amber as it is already an Indica and I'd rather not get too much into the "couch lock" phase.

ALSO:

What do you think might be causing that decaying in the leaves? Setting aside any infestations because I can clearly see there are none. Not all the plants are suffering from this, just one or two, and they are all fed and watered the same way. Could a deficiency also be causing the trichomes to be clouding over prematurely? (Just to be clear, the plants that have the mostly cloudy trichomes are not suffering from this at all, just a couple that were badly stunted from the beginning for unknown reasons)
    Last edited by User420111; 04-03-2022, 10:12 AM.

User420111 Don't go by the trichs on the leaves, you wanna look at the buds, either snip a hunk off or just jam the scope right in the bud. Those are the trichs you go by. As far as the leaves changing that's just the plant ageing out at the end of it's life cycle. Think maple tree in the fall. I always say When you're absolutely positive it's time to harvest, wait two more weeks. Patience is your friend.

Comment

• User420111
      User420111 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I tried to explain I had taken little snips of leaves off the buds. Not even from the top of the plant where they age faster but from about halfway up the plant. I think at this point I'm not too worried about the leaves turning brown but they did seem to be dying off at an inconsistent, sort of erratic pace. Since they are so close to the end I just trim away the dead stuff so it's really not worrisome. Just wondering if it was indicative of a deficiency

First off, listen to #PRIMO; What's happening to your plants is normal. Your white hairs will turn brownish orange (depending on the strain) and then start looking at the pistils on the actual flower. Not the leaves. But you're on the right track. Judging from your 4th pic, you've got time...

SwitchH2O
    Cheers,
    SwitchH2O
    8” powered outtake with 6” Carbon Filter (NVP)
    RDWC 4x 5gal with 1x 5gal reservoir (17.5g)
    Rockwool starter (Supersoak) with clay pellet medium
    G. H. Flora 10-Part Professional Series
    Last grow - White Tahoe Cookies - Currently out being tested for THC/CBD and terpene profile.

CURRENTLY GROWING
    Sowing Godfather OG, Green Crack and Gelato
    All feminized

UPCOMING…
    Mainlining/Manifold for next grow…

Comment

I'll give them another week and check again. I have plenty of bud so I can afford to wait. I just didn't want to inadvertently wait *too long* because I'd never seen trichomes like that when the hairs were still nearly 100% white(ish). Having grown mostly sativa dominant strains throughout the years I guess I wasn't expecting this at all.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Yup. Less clear. More amber.
        Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X