Any tips on defoliation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on defoliation?

So I'm curious about defoliation. I noticed in my last grow any leaves that were even slightly covering the buds, grew much smaller than the ones exposed to direct light. I don't want to rip off too many leaves, not do i want to do it too late into bloom.

The bigger one is just about finished with her pre-bloom stretch. I have developing and developed budlets. The rapid growing is slowing down and i want to remove some leaves. I already removed about 2 handfuls of leaves over the past week from below the screen, everything went. Above the screen I've been focusing on making sure the leaves aren't covering any buds.
    ​​​​​​

The new one i just put to bloom this Saturday so it hasn't even started "the stretch." So I'm going to wait a bit. Only doing the leaves below the screen for now.

Any tips at all would be appreciated. You could Photoshop and scribble on any of my pictures to show me any areas that I should focus on. Am I doing a fairly good job at what I'm currently doing should I do something different? I know I can't strip away all the leaves but I know I definitely have to reduce some because it looks way too dense there's not going to be proper air movement.

Here's some pictures to show you a little before and after. I want to do a little bit more defoliation on the one that's finishing the stretch before I stunt the growth.
    You can see on the other one how dense sleep pack the leaves were and how I got rid of a lot of the leaves underneath and thinned it out more for the buds to come in properly which I didn't do on the one that's already blooming. Hopefully it'll have some positive effects.
    Peace. Love. Mushrooms and Weed.
    ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱
    Current grows:🪴

Pineapple Express (Barney's Farm)
    MAC1 (Blimburn)
    Sweet Zombie (Blimburn) *autoflower
    Acapulco Gold (B/W Label NASC) *autoflower

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin
    T- 🫖Black Tea Kombucha (Fermentaholics SCOBY)

🍄Tidal wave 3x
    🍄Treasure Coast 2x(1 was contaminated)

He's given you some good tips when and how. I just do those inside big fans on a as needed basis after flower begins, not to many just enough to see soil when standing over them. Like he says, there comes a time when they no longer produces leaf and focus energy on bud growth.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• No3odiesShad0w
      No3odiesShad0w commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah the bigger one that I have is like week three since I switched it to bloom. So it's still in pre-bloom stretch but the stretch is just about over. So I'm glad I'm doing this correctly. This time around it's looking like I'm going to have a lot better yields than much better everything overall.

Yes, that is succinct and to the point. Only remove useless leaves and those covering bud sites. Spreading out and tying down the branches is preferable to removing leaves where possible.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to be sure I'm retaining and putting this knowledge into practice correctly. Thank you again!
      Peace. Love. Mushrooms and Weed.
      ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱
      Current grows:🪴

Pineapple Express (Barney's Farm)
      MAC1 (Blimburn)
      Sweet Zombie (Blimburn) *autoflower
      Acapulco Gold (B/W Label NASC) *autoflower

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin
      T- 🫖Black Tea Kombucha (Fermentaholics SCOBY)

🍄Tidal wave 3x
      🍄Treasure Coast 2x(1 was contaminated)

Comment

Bottom line: fans are solar collectors. The more leaves, the more light is absorbed and hence a healthier plant. Personally I trim dead leaves and only those directly over a bud site. That's were training comes in. You are doing fine.
        I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X