Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Algae growing in my nutrient solution. Is it bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Algae growing in my nutrient solution. Is it bad?

Hi everyone, lately I've been experimenting with a drip irrigation system (mostly because I had to leave my plants unattended multiple times these past few months), but it's still far from ideal seeing as my nutrient solution reservoir is currently inside the tent and constantly receiving light from my LEDs, due to space issues that will soon be fixed. Either way, I've noticed that microalgae began growing rapidly in the solution, and I started wondering whether this could be a problem for the plants (maybe they'll damage the roots or something) or perhaps even an added benefit (maybe they'll gradually breakdown in the substrate and become a secondary source of nutrients). What are your thoughts?

Howdy azorahai, in a word, yes! Besides removing nutrients intended for the plants, it can cause symptoms (blotchy leaves, dry and or curling leaves, and stunted growth just to name a few). I would recommend draining and cleaning the reservoir before re-filling it. Replace any and all clear tubing with black tubing and block out all light to the reservoir (the reservoir should be completely opaque to light) and the reservoir's temperature should be kept between 60° F and no higher than 70° F because some of the types of algae (brown algae) can grow without much light if the temperature is warm enough.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• azorahai
      azorahai commented
      Editing a comment
      I see. For now I think I'll just remove the dripping system while I think of better ways to feed them without algae growth. Thanks!

What DW2 said. As an aside, I switched my grows to the auto pot system because I needed an auto watering system due to my travel requirements. It works like a champ. No moving parts to wear out or synchronize. No timers. No worries about algae in the Rez. Ever. Just steady water and nutes when the plant wants it. Just in case you’re interested.

AutoPot supplies simple to use automatic watering systems that can be used either as a hydroponic system or as a traditional soil irrigation system. Indoor growing and greenhouse crops can be produced with ease.

Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X