What is the best way to dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best way to dry

I am wondering how people dry their buds. Is the a difference or is it all the same. Do you trim and hang the whole plant upside down? Do you just have the branches? Is their a preferred way of drying or does it really matter?

Hanging the whole plant will make it take longer to dry due to moisture in the stem. Cutting the stem and hanging branches will be quicker and with no loss of potency, I do a wet trim. I trim the whole plant and place the buds on a screen to dry. This is quicker, again with no loss of potency but for me it is easier to trim the fresh buds then the dry ones. Anything other than forced drying (in the sun, oven or dryer) will work out well.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 White Widow, 2 Critical Super Silver Haze
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I also trim right down to bud and then dry on a rack. then I cure in mason jars.

Comment

Done all 3 ways. My last grow I just did buds only, put them in a brown paper bag in a dark closet and checked it every day. It took about the same amount of time as the other ways but this was by far the easiest way to harvest! After 5 -7 days they were jarred with a humidi pack per jar and burped as needed. These were by far my best ever.

Comment

• woovygroovy
          woovygroovy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes you can tell the humidity in the jar with a very cheap hygrometer. There's a 12 pack I'm about to buy for $20

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          @NuggetMan
          Kitchen bottom cabinet floor, inside cabinet [fairly constant] temp C ~20-21 | F ~68-70 | RH ~40-45
          Using a temp- hygrometer for greenhouse.

• Puglover1
          Puglover1 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I jarred I put a Boveda in each one - I had to buy one-piece lids, inventory shortages. I used mini hygrometers in some jars. That was >14 months ago, they're still reading 59/60%, the buds & buzzes are fine, I'm just running low on inventory.

I wet trim, stop watering, wait for bud moisture content to get down to 10-15% (8-14 days) then jar.
        This works for me.
        Organic soil auto grower.

Comment

• OldManGrower
          OldManGrower commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting approach. I never thought of drying on the stem. How do you measure the bud moisture content?

I hung the whole plants once. Never again. I cut branches and get as much leaf off as I can without disturbing too much and let em hang. Final trim when they're ready and then into jars.
        Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

I use a four tier drying basket and I hang it right outside the intake of my tent. Really cuts down on the smell. And the buds dry fairly evenly and quickly.

Comment

What is the RH of the buds when y’all jar them up? Mine felt moist this last harvest but Jared up read at 52RH but the buds are not super dry and are really sticky and smell great. I was shooting for 62 RH as recommended in GWE. I dried by hanging branches in bunches or singles if I had no choice. Trimmed the fan leafs then dry trimmed, to try to keep the flower from drying to fast. This time I used a window ax and kept the room at 64f and 50-60 Rh Jared up at 10 days. Best dry ever. Ac made a difference.

Comment

OldManGrower - I have access to a Aqualab 3.

Comment

I’ve started hanging the whole plant and then dry trimming. Best smelling/tasting bud I’ve done

Comment

Sa, as I mentioned earlier, everyone has their own ways

Comment

Yes everyone is going to doit differently not everyone has the same environment. Anybody here care to answer my questions? Just wondering what temps y’all dry in? And what is the rh when y’all jar them up? How many days to dry? Usually I didn’t care but this time I kept the room at 64f-68f and between 50-60 rh and took ten days to dry. Buds felt wet but I’m jars the hygrometer are reading 52 rh at best. Buds are sticky and best I ever dried. My guess is if you dry slow and in a cool humid temps the buds will be good even if over dried a bit? Wonder if I should add novels packs and will it work as far as getting the rh up to 62 as recommended by GWE?

Comment

• Puglover1
                      Puglover1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My first batch was only 60% before Bovedas, second batch was 65%. I was in jail for a while.

• NuggetMan
                      NuggetMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I use a small bedroom to grow and the closet for drying/curing. Closet temp is between 60 - 65 degrees and humidity at 40 - 45%, 3 - 5 or 7 days depending on outside temperature. You may think buds are "wet" but really you want to cure low and slow to keep the stickiness and aroma. Humidi-packs were designed to be around 62.5% (an ideal target for curing, just like cigars in a humidifier) This is considered "best" for curing. As long as you are within the 60 - 65% humidity in the jar, your buds should come out bomb.
                      Last edited by NuggetMan; 03-20-2022, 11:17 AM.

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      @NuggetMan
                      ...between a 55% and 65% for cured buds in tight mason jars with humidity packs...

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                    Yes everyone is going to doit differently not everyone has the same environment. Anybody here care to answer my questions? Just wondering what temps y’all dry in? And what is the rh when y’all jar them up? How many days to dry? Usually I didn’t care but this time I kept the room at 64f-68f and between 50-60 rh and took ten days to dry. Buds felt wet but I’m jars the hygrometer are reading 52 rh at best. Buds are sticky and best I ever dried. My guess is if you dry slow and in a cool humid temps the buds will be good even if over dried a bit? Wonder if I should add novels packs and will it work as far as getting the rh up to 62 as recommended by GWE?
                    I use the Boveda packs to maintain 62% Rh

Comment

Depending on time of year and temp/humidity, my drying time is around 7 days. When it's cooler (fall or winter) it can go 10 or more days which is actually preferred. Haven't used any of the Boveda packs.
                      Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X