Question about trimming fan leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about trimming fan leaves

I have been growing for about 2 years. So I would label myself as a novice groomer. I have a question about trimming fan leaves on my auto plants. I have a small tent and normally only grow two plants at a time. This grow I decided to grow three. All three are in the flowering stage and the buds are about the size of my fist. The lower fan leaves are starting to turn sour (as expected). Every week I trim a few off. Since my tent is more crowded than usual can I trim even more fan leaves off safely? (Reason to bring in more light). I expect another 3-4 weeks till harvest. How bad will I affect the growth of the buds if I cut too many off? Thanks for your help!
    Mother Earth Coco/Perlite 70/30
    Canna Coco Or
    Happy Frog soil
    Fox Farms nutrients trio
    Smart pots
    Vivosun tent, LED lite & fan

Semper Fi brothers and sisters!

Objective is not to have dark areas or no light reaching the inside of the plant. Trim only what you need to take off to expose the buds. Do not go overboard!

This is where LST comes in handy earlier during the veg stage as this helps to eliminate these spots and opens up the plant to spread.

Fan leaves (as I understand) feeds the branch. the smaller leaves feed the buds in conjunction with the fan leaves. Since fan leaves die off, the leaves on the branch continue feeding the bud. make sense?

That is why they dry up and die from the bottom up (this is excluding plant issues) and the upper 3rd of plant blossoms. I trim the bottom 3rd of all my plants before flowering to drive plant energy to tops where the light is.

Look at my past posts and you can see how I did my plants this will help you understand what I'm talking about. Please understand, I do not use a tent or grow auto flowers (I grow from seed) but still plant basics would apply. I am into my 17th grow right now, 7 weeks into veg, topped and LST applied.

It's your call but be aware this is a toss-up issue among growers, apply what you think is best for your plants and go from there is all I can recommend.

Fox Farms Ocean Forest.
    Fox Farms Trio plus Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, Cha Ching.
    Regular 3- or 5-gallon plastic pots.
    4x t8 shop lights, 4 tubes each. kept at 3 inches from tops of plants.
    1 small bedroom with ceiling fan.
    Last edited by NuggetMan; 02-26-2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, good advice. I top my autos and LST as well. I want to get light down to those lower buds in this somewhat crowded tent. BUT - without stressing the plant too much. Trial and error I guess. Thanks!

Yes go ahead and do so as you've got nearly done plants. It won't hurt them at all now unless you scalp them don't do that LOL. I do remove most all big fan leaf nearing harvest what's the point of them when they been used up. You'll see the more often you grow photos you'll know what you can do to them nearing the finish line.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      @ SoOrbudgal thanks. Good advice from you as well. Speaking of photos - a fellow grower here has given me some photo seeds. My plan is to grow some outside this summer. This will be my first photo grow. I'm gonna do some different things with each plant and take some notes. Should be a good learning summer project. Happy farming!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X