What's your longest time for a seed to pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your longest time for a seed to pop

On my first grow, I had just ordered the seeds and I put one in between wet paper towels and it sprouted within a few days.

This is my second growl I put a seed in a paper towel, from the other strain that I took a chance on and only bought one seeed, and it didn't pop after a week.

I moved on to the freebie seeds. I just added it next to the first one. A week later, nothing. Another seed. Another week, still nothing. Third and final freebie seed before going back to the original variety, of which I have two seeds left. A week later, the first freebie seed cracks after three weeks in the wet paper towel!

I put it in a rapid rooter a few days later when it had a bit of a root. The second freebie seed cracks. I stuck it in a rooter too, and I'm waiting to see if it pops up. It looks like it's getting closer to the surface (it wasn't far in to begin with). Now it looks like seed #3 (freebie) is cracking. Still no sign of life after about a month on the other strain.

Alll of them are autos. It's weird that these seeds seem to take 3 weeks to germinate. And all three, consistently, too.

Is there any chance the one that's been in there for a month will come to life after all? What's the longest it's ever taken for one of your seeds to pop?

Well not as frequently as your experiencing, i think your method needs tweeking. I put it in moist paper towel place it in a zip baggie with air in the baggie blow it up zip tight place on a warm surface does not need light just warmth and not too damp it's a learning curve. Some folk go straight to soil with the seed maybe inch deep moist soil put a cup over the top to create humidity that's the key to germinate.

Comment

I just started 2 new autos, and they both took a week to germinate.

I soak the seeds for 24 hours in water, then plant directly in soil. After 2 weeks, they are 3" tall, with 2 sets of leaves.

Comment

Funny you should ask. I've got a Purple Kush that waited over a month to sprout. I started another PK seed in the same cell pot after the first one didn't pop. Its big sister was too sick to keep and I found the sprout when I pulled her out to take her down. I usually dig out ungerminated seeds but I missed this one. It isn't happy about the transplant but I expect it to bounce back.
        Coconut Grove
        4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
        4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
        32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
        Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

I'd never keep a seed that long, waiting for it to germ. My longest seed in the pot was 4-5 days. I finally put a small clear bowl 'humidity dome' over where the seed was sown, the next day it had twins.
          Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
          Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
          Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
          Various size fabric grow bags
          Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
          4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
          Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

I had several white widow seeds that took from 10 days to over 3 weeks to germ. Out of 10 seeds only 2 grew to maturity. Supplier gave me a refund.
            Usual time for seeds to sprout a tail is probably 2 to 3 days in my experience
            Yesterday placed 4 seeds in damp paper towel with a capful of hydrogen peroxide in a plastic container and set next to the TV modem for warmth that have all cracked the shell in less then 24 hrs.
            The seeds you have seem suspect or your germ method as mentioned may need tweaking.

Comment

I put seeds in the ground many years ago, nothing came up and we did not plant there the next year. However plants came up after setting in the ground for a year, did nice too.
              I have had to place seeds to germ in the sunshine or nothing happened.

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
                UndergroundFarmer commented
                Editing a comment
                I think a period of dormancy in cold and dark is necessary to get them ready to germinate. Otherwise fresh seeds might germinate in "Indian summer" after dropping from the mother and be wasted when frost hits later in fall.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X