Expiration date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expiration date?

How long before properly cured and stored cannabis starts to deteriorate in quality? I'm a pretty heavy user, and at the rate I'm going my last harvest could be around for a couple of years.

Hi soonboomer That's a good question. There's probably some scientific data that can explain the breakdown of the THC and cannabinoids over time and exposure to light. I can't, but I do know from practical experience if you keep your harvest properly stored, by that I mean jarred, dark cool place, RH pack, and fresh air from time to time, it will last a long time. I have a little flower from my first harvest in fall of 2019 that still kicks my @$$. It's not green anymore though. You should be fine.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

I dont have any 2019 left, but I do have some 2020 and of course 2021, I like the older better. Maybe its the strain but for me the smell and taste are spot on. I jar mine (without packs) and keep it in a dark cool room with my wine.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm like Rwise, i've had some in jars for well over 18months hardly longer and i like it very much. I store mine wrapped in old newspaper placed in a box in a cool area.

Howdy soonboomer, I still have some left in my refrigerator from 04/2021 that is still in good condition. After I make up my caps (cured, ground, and baked) I keep them in the freezer. I have never had any last longer than a year in the fridge, due to consumption, but as my yields increase, I hope to find out how long the bub can last. The lower temperatures do not totally stop the natual decomposition process, only slows it down. I keep all of the bud and trim in the fridge because when I kept it in a cool dark closet, I lost several jars due to mold (that is also why I use the smaller 8-ounce jars instead of the quart jars, less to toss out if it does get moldy!).
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Back in about 1979 I rolled 5 bones and put them in 5 glass vials, melted the vial sealed shut, and made a label "break glass in case of emergency". Gave away 4 as gifts, the last one is somewhere in the junk in the barn. If I ever find it, I will be checking it out. I have to say that if I had the same stuff today as it was back in 79, I would probably gag and not want to touch it. What? 30% of the weight is seeds n stems? Did you pick out the donkey hair? Is that dirt or something else?
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Rik
          Rik commented
          Editing a comment
          I love this. I sure hope you find it and treat us all to a smoke report!

I've got weed over 3 years old and still fire. Terps fade over time and the bud changes color to a golden look. Stored in quart jars in darkness.
        keeping it green with the soil thing
        love me some frosty autos
        braap
        BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
        Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
        the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
        blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

Thanks for all the good feedback. It's all jarred, in my pitch dark cellar which is always around 65 degrees. It was all harvested from mid October thru the first week of November, and quality wise, is getting better and better.

Comment

Same as the others for me. I have stuff that is years old and still works fine. Will say the oldest stuff is no longer green and some jars don’t have much of a smell but I think my newer crops will age better (cool temps and no UV light consistently now whereas it wasn’t before). I don’t store in the fridge (I’ve heard it isn’t good for bud but haven’t tried it) and I’ve never had mold in a jar but I also use boveda packets and a small hygrometer in each jar to regulate. The only thing I put in the freezer is cured trim waiting for a quick wash and edible products I’m storing.

Comment

I dry mine to 70% and put in jars in the freezer. 2 years is the longest I've kept some. They do seem to loose some potency but the texture and color is the same as when you sealed it. I usually pack them pretty tight and finish the curing in the jar. When they stay at 70% then I freeze them.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X