Cocoa vs pro mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cocoa vs pro mix

I’m considering trying cocoa or Pro Mix instead of FF for a grow. I’ve had 3 grows in FF thinking all I needed was water to harvest, however my buds haven’t been dense. I’ bought a more powerful light ( Sonofarm) and now realize I should fertilize FF, at least during flower. I’ve read cocoa and pro mix were forgiving mediums and easier than straight soil. I’m leaning toward ProMix but open to all opinions. Small tent 2X2X5 six inch Ac infinity for exhaust. Old light Mars Hydro tec 98. New light Sonofarm 1000

Hello Budman3 Welcome. The FF is really only good for about 3-4 weeks. So it's a decent medium for veg but not so much flower. I found this out by practical experience and reading what others have written. I don't have coco experience yet but will soon. Coco doesn't contain any nutrients. The only food the plants will get is what you give them. For some reason that appeals to me so I'm going to give it a go. I don't have any experience with Pro Mix but all of my grows have been in FFOF blend amended with organic nutrients in flower with so so results. But I like soil and the idea of adding nothing but water.

I've switched to the autopot system and and 50/50 perlite/soil mix. I've grown in soil with amendments from CX Horticulture and had outstanding results from 4 plants. I just harvested today a GrandDaddy Purple auto grown in FFOF that was dried out and about a year old. I moistened it, added perlite and some Happy Frog and amended the grow with BioTabs. That let me do just straight water. I am pleasantly surprised at the results.

Last edited by golfnrl; 01-31-2022, 12:30 PM.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

I have used both, like coco better. Easier to prepare, promix was difficult to maintain hydration. It was either to wet or dry. Couldn't find a groove for watering.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I prefer coco. I use a 70/30 coco perlite mix.
        Ckbrew mentioned water issues, since i switched to fabric grow bags i would never use pots again. In my experience it's basically impossible to over water with fabric bags. They will dry out faster though especially when the plants are at their peak water usage. I check my tent daily so drying out isint an issue.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X