When to defoliate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to defoliate

Hello my friends, when do you think is the best time to exfoliate. Right when the lights come on, or right before they go off?
    Attached Files

I can't see well in the tent lights off so i take them out but i don't think there's a difference.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

yea, I'm not sure if its better for the plants after the stress of defoliating to be a dark period, or a light period? maybe you're right, it doesn't matter.

Comment

I usually just feed them some Aloe Vera after to help relieve stress if any. But I usually just defoliate when I get the urge. The way I grow makes me antsy to do something since all I do is water.

Comment

This is covered about half way down the page; also this tid bit
          Defoliation (removing leaves) is a highly controversial technique for growing cannabis. It’s important the new growers do not defoliate leaves until they’ve made it past their first harvest.
          https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabi...ng#defoliation
          And this page about 2/3 way down https://www.growweedeasy.com/basics
          Last edited by Rwise; 01-31-2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

yes, I have read that article. I'm well past my first grow, and have defoliated many times. i was just curious if there was a preferred time. I couldn't find any article that mentioned that. maybe i'll do a study!

Comment

johnb1963 feom nebulas tutorial that I read years ago and still remember. She recommends defoliating before the flip and then at 3 weeks from the flip. Those are her preferred times. It’s there. Unless I made that up from somewhere lol

Comment

LOL, those are not the times i was looking for. i'm at 3 weeks from the flip, now, but if you read my original post, i was asking if there is a preferred time. right when the lights come on, or right before the lights go off.

Comment

Oh my bad lol. I do it when I have time. Mostly at night. Try it I usually notice when I doit they are droopy next morning they are praying either thanking me or the light that shines over them lol

Comment

I usually defoliate right before the lights go out for the day.

Comment

Doesn't matter you can take anything off at any time.

Comment

About to defoliate the veg girls again as I can't control the humidity and still got a couple weeks before flower time. Actually might just flip them in the veg tent. But need a place for the two babies. I have a big storage box converted for the air intake of the flower room. It's where the mister sits. I could rig a 50w up in it and put the two babies in there for the duration.

My flower pair have been a couple times. Kind of wish I'd left a few more leaves too help with humidity as I need to run a mister in the air intake.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb1963 View Post
                          yes, I have read that article. I'm well past my first grow, and have defoliated many times. i was just curious if there was a preferred time. I couldn't find any article that mentioned that. maybe i'll do a study!

In general, it doesn't matter too much what time of day it is, as in the wild the plant has no say over when it gets damaged.

In terms of optimal practice though, most I've seen recommend the best time is during daylight hours, ideally 2 hours after lights on - this is so it's not a shock immediately upon waking, yet it still gives the plant the rest of daylight hours to heal & adjust. The leaf chloroplasts spend all day filling up with energy to release at night, so cutting early in day means plant isn't wasting resources on filling up leaves it's due to lose, and gives the remaining leaves more time to get themselves filled up.

The other reason why daytime is technically preferable is because during photosynthesis the plant is drawing up more water through the roots, and the active water pressure created by this process means any actual cuts can be plugged & healed alot quicker - at night time plants revert to just retaining water, and the resulting lower pressure isn't so quick to flood the cut, thus potentially giving disease/infection more time to get inside.

I Do follow this myself, though overall if you've got a strong, healthy plant to begin with the above points are mainly theoretical only.
                          Last edited by DaGreenBlazer; 05-26-2022, 12:29 AM.

Comment

awesome DagreenBlazer, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                            X