Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When watering plants, will the nutrients hurt the plants leaves if they get wet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When watering plants, will the nutrients hurt the plants leaves if they get wet?

Definitely a Newbie kind of question...but not sure how else I'm gonna know unless I ask. When the plants were very small it was easy to water without getting the plants wet, as they have gotten bigger, keeping them dry is more of a challenge. Will the nutrient solution hurt the plant leaves as they dry under the lights?

Thanks in advance...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2652.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	554413
    Grow Tent: 3' x 3' x 72", 4' x 4' x 80"
    Grow Lights: 2 x Vivosun VS1000, Vivosun VS2000, HLG 600
    Grow Medium (Bubba Kush): Coco/Perlite Hydroponics Flora Trio
    Grow Medium (White Widow): Coco/Perlite,General Hydroponics Flora Trio

I don't think it should but I'm trying to find a decent answer for this question as well. Because I've read in a couple of places that you could add like a drop of nutrients to a spray bottle and just spray the leaves and they'll absorb some of the nutrients that way... But you can't put a lot otherwise you might burn the leaves It's literally like a drop for like a quarter gallon..... Don't quote me on it because I'm still trying to find an answer for this.

I keep having calcium magnesium problems and with the soil I'm using I can't exactly add just about anything to it I have to be careful otherwise it'll mess up the pH. I'm trying to find out if I could put the cal mag in a spray bottle and like once or twice a week spray the leaves and hopefully they'll get the nutrients that way
    Peace. Love. Mushrooms and Weed.
    ☮️❤️🍄🍁🪱
    Current grows:🪴

Pineapple Express (Barney's Farm)
    MAC1 (Blimburn)
    Tangie o' matic (420 Fast Buds) *autoflower
    Blue Dream (Blimburn)

X -🪱Vermihut worm bin
    T- 🫖Black Tea Kombucha (Fermentaholics SCOBY)

🍄Tidal wave 3x
    🍄Treasure Coast 2x(1 was contaminated)

Comment

• UberMensch
      UberMensch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks No3odiesShad0w for confirming that at least someone else has wondered about this.

I suspect that it is not much of a problem, otherwise I think I would have seen it mentioned somewhere during all of the reading I have done. My fall back plan will simply be to spray the plant off with plain water after feeding them nutrients until I have a better education on this!

• No3odiesShad0w
      No3odiesShad0w commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah if you worry that the nutrients are concentrated you could definitely spray them with some water to rinse it off. Better safe than sorry honestly.

I have gotten nutrient water on the leaves and it will damage them.

Comment

• UberMensch
      UberMensch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks @Fjeff...I didn't see your response until just now. I will definitely continue to try to avoid getting the nutrients on the leaves, and will probably spray them off just to be safe.

Hi UberMensch,

As I'm a retired auto mechanic, (among other things), I use what's called a transmission funnel to feed the plants, you can get it at any auto parts store for $5
    Simply point and pour, I move it around as the water comes out so as to distribute the water around the plant.

Also, I keep a spray bottle of water handy and give them a healthy washing after each feeding, just in case, besides, I like to let the leaves get a little moisture every few days,

Just my 2 cents...

Name:	Transmission Funnel.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	748.8 KB
ID:	554487

Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
    2 - MF2000 Maxsisun 230w LED lights
    3 - 5 gal fabric containers -
    MotherEarth Coco bale 100% coco
    RapidRooter plugs
    390 CFM exhaust fan
    2 - 6" Fans
    1 - 12" Oscillating fan
    Fox Farm Nutrients - Hydroponic Food, Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom
    Cal-Mag
    Current grow - Gelat.OG x 3

Comment

• UberMensch
      UberMensch commented
      Editing a comment
      GrumpyOldMan - Thank you sir! That sounds like a pretty clever solution for applying water to a hard-to-reach pot at the rear of the grow tent. I will definitely keep this in mind.

If the nutrients are high dose it may cause some burn. Also water droplets can act as a lens and cause light burn in the pattern of the liquid and this sometimes mimics insect damage. More common outdoors but still can happen indoors. In my situation I do everything I can to reduce humidity so spraying liquid on the leaves is out for me. To much dampness on the leaves leads to mold. That's why I run all the fans, keep the air moving to reduce moisture on the leaves. I think some people in a very dry areas may spray the leaves.

I use this as a funnel. 1.5 inch pvc about 1m long, a street 45, and a 1.5 to 3 adapter. I can guide it through the branches to the pot anywhere in the tent from the front.

Name:	2021-8-18-2 TENT.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	554499
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I mix it up and spray the girls with it, getting most on the under side of the leave. Yep I do foliar feeding, but dont do it with your lights on, the droplets act like a magnifying glasses and burn spots on your leaves. Also only in veg, never in flower it can induce bud rot.

Comment

Wow! Some great ideas were shared on this topic.
        Ckbrew - I REALLY like your setup. I had to use a street 90 to solve a plumbing problem on my conversion van...I'm surprised that I didn't think of it for this application, I will definitely construct one of these.
        Rwise - Thanks for confirming what I thought could happen with nutrients burn under the lights. I really think this won't be much of a problem once the plants get bigger...but for now it is definitely a concern.
        Grow Tent: 3' x 3' x 72", 4' x 4' x 80"
        Grow Lights: 2 x Vivosun VS1000, Vivosun VS2000, HLG 600
        Grow Medium (Bubba Kush): Coco/Perlite Hydroponics Flora Trio
        Grow Medium (White Widow): Coco/Perlite,General Hydroponics Flora Trio

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X