Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me juggle plants - looking for ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me juggle plants - looking for ideas.

I have a problem I am trying to solve. I have a clone that I stressed out doing an experiment with coffee grounds. To save the plant I had to transplant it into a much bigger pot with normal, un-coffee ground-laced, soil. Good news is it is recovering nicely. Bad news is I don't have any room for the big planter I put it in. My main tent is on 12/12 and will be for at least another month) and my smaller 18/6 tent cannot accommodate it. Big tent comes on from midnight to noon so I've been moving the plant from there to outside and back every day to ensure it gets 18 hours of daylight. It's a big planter - this is getting old. Considering leaving it (Orange Velvet) outside and just putting a small light on a timer nearby to keep it in veg until the daylight hours are sufficient. Where I live we only have a few nights below freezing each year so I don't mind moving it indoors on those rare occasions. However, it *is* usually below 50F at night right now so not sure how it will fare. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    5x7 closet with reflective mylar on the walls
    2 UF-4000 LEDs (set to 25K Lumens at the plant)
    150 CFM bathroom vent installed in ceiling exhausting through a roof vent
    Elitech STC-1000Wifi Temp&Humidity Controller
    1X Sundae Driver in 35g grow bag
    2X Orange Velvet in 35g grow bags

i made up some bucket heaters this year. My idea was an outdoor cannabis plant may go though quite a change on top but the roots will stay near the same or slowly heat/cool. So i got some reptile strip heaters and made a heater that wraps around the sides of the bucket. And a dual probe temp controller so I can run a heater in two buckets. Works great and keep the soil temp within a degree, I have it set on 73/74F.

I didn't want to use a matt as with a saucer the heater is not in direct contact with the bucket and if it was it would interfere with the drainage and runoff.

The whole thing is relatively water proof too.

After see this weeks article on reptile heating mats, it got me thinking about root zone temperatures again. I've had years of successful grows but always looking to improve. My grow room is in the basement with a concrete floor. I always keep air ports raise off floor but have wondered if root zone is still a little cool for

Comment

Thanks. I do have one of those seedling warming pads I can wrap around the pot with a little insulation outside that.
      5x7 closet with reflective mylar on the walls
      2 UF-4000 LEDs (set to 25K Lumens at the plant)
      150 CFM bathroom vent installed in ceiling exhausting through a roof vent
      Elitech STC-1000Wifi Temp&Humidity Controller
      1X Sundae Driver in 35g grow bag
      2X Orange Velvet in 35g grow bags

Comment

• 3Berries
        3Berries commented
        Editing a comment
        Make sure you have a thermometer in the pot as it really doesn't take a whole lot of heater and they can get hot! I tried one controller for two heaters and as one dried out it got hotter than the other an did get up to 80F where the soil was drier.

I tried splitting a tent between plants by moving plants and light. It got old fast. If you want a down & dirty cheap light, I put these in my kitchen. So bright I had to take two of them out.

They are cheap and bright, almost grow light bright. The spectrum is probably incomplete for plants, but I bet it would keep the plant in veg for a 6 hour run. As for the heat at night, is the plant small enough to fit inside a large cardboard box, like from a washing machine or similar? If you can find something to insulate it, even better. Maybe an electric heating system like 3B suggested, or a heating pad. I would say a 100W incandescent light bulb would keep it warm in a box. That setup is used in engine assembly to prevent condensation. But then that would defeat the purpose of dark time. unless you coordinate that with light on time. A miniature down n dirty grow tent.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Ok this is a bit rough but I have pulled yes pulled plants and moved them to different soils. Yes it can kill the plant, last year I had to many come up, pulled 3 and moved them, tried to give them away, pulled them again and moved them to the spring and told someone where they were so he could get them. All 3 lived and made buds for him, and I am sure this stunted them but he did not complain (all 3 females). I didn't even dig a hole or use Voodoo Juice on them, just tossed them on the ground, a shovel of soil over the roots and I'm off.
        I have done this with bad soil mixes as well, just yank it out and put it in good soil.
        Good Luck!

Comment

• click
          click commented
          Editing a comment
          What time of year did you plant them in the ground? Did they have to endure cold nights?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X