Sudden pH drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Sudden pH drop

Did a reservoir change (last one before flipping into flower). Using 65% recommended amount of nutes with 100% recommended amount of CalMag and R.O. water. The pH was stable at 6.2 - 6.3 (optimal for CalMag absorption). Four days later the pH started dropping quickly, down to 5.2 in less than 24 hours. I added a gallon of tap water to try to buffer until I could flip her into flower. Less than 24 hours later it is down to 4.7. I am defoliating and flipping today. The plant looks wonderful. ( I am in the process of moving some photos over to this computer so I can post). Has anyone seen the pH change rapidly as a result of total consumption of CalMag? The TDS is reasonably stable (within 30 - 40, lower with water usage ). I am growing a 100% sativa photo-period.

My set-up is:
    2' x 3' cabinet
    KIND XL450 LED
    20 gallon reservoir
    LOTUS nutrients
    Two circulation fans
    Two speed variable exhaust fans
    Oxydator ozone generator in reservoir
    Exhale CO2 bag

I have seen this happen with a root issue and although I have not grown anything but autos in a couple of years, I do recall prior to flipping, the plants feeding extremely heavy which will cause a drop.

I would flush it for at least 24 hours, let it catch its breath and easy into the flowering mix for nutrients.
    By all means please post pictures.

I have used this chart in the past, it is pretty good, right on the money but gives you a good ideal.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RagWeedDWC; 01-21-2022, 12:41 PM.
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

I stopped adjusting my pH until it was in the tote agitating I know it goes in at 5.2 but I typically have to lower it 10 minutes later. When I add water between nutrient changes the pH will tend to hold but it too sometimes creeps up. Now about 4 times through the life of 1 plant I will have the pH drop and around transition it usually dips the hardest also it will go up in flower and be hard to get back down at least once. I blamed my well water and started checking it everyday and keeping it in range, just falls in line with my ocd.

Comment

Thanks RW. The roots are massive and white. It does look like a massive feeding frenzy. I saw something similar near harvest time with a Super Silver Haze Auto. Naturally I couldn't solve the issue since I harvested after the flush. I will flush before adding flower nutes. I was wondering if the sudden drop could be related to a specific element.

Comment

Thanks Jebidiah. I also don't adjust pH for 24 hours after a res change. I installed a recirculating pump in the res to mix the nutes more quickly ( I also use it to drain the res ). It takes about an hour to mix but it still takes a while for the pH to stabilize. After the dip/spike did you see it remain stable?

Comment

Yeah it’s like the plant just wants to make sure you are paying attention. I read somewhere and can’t find it now that a plant will go through changes and cause pH changes…how credible that is I have no clue but it set my mind at ease moving forward.

Comment

Here is a photo of the six week old veg.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X