Organic soil mixure with me!....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfnrl View Post
    I like growing in soil. I've been to the Buid a soil site and read about Clackamus Coots soil. I'd like to try my hand at growing a living soil. The idea of just adding water I like. I have an auto grow going with FFOF amended with Bio Tabs. How much space does it take to build this soil? Container size, storage, etc. I have limited space and I'm concerned about that while it cooks.
    No need to let this mix cook. It’s not hot at all. I make this mix and go straight in with seeds clones whatever. Same day or next day. Not much space needed, I use 3 5 gallon buckets. One with compost, one with pumice, one with Canadian sphagnum peat moss. Then just add the amendments in and mix it in a small kids pool or like tokabigone said in a 6x6 tarp. Once done put that back in your buckets or straight into the soils final home. Now there you have about 2c.f. Of soil. 7.5gal per cubic feet. Don’t take much space.

Comment

• golfnrl
      golfnrl commented
      Editing a comment
      Cali Thank you. That makes sense to me and gives me a better idea of what to expect. Much appreciated. Do you ever store your soil after it's mixed?

golfnrl good question. Yes I do all the time. I keep it in the bucket with a lid but make sure there is no humidity or the soil will go anaerobic. I just open the lid from time to time to make sure it’s good. Once it smelled bad cus I watered it before storing it but I let it air out and all was good. I use the bucket with measurements that way I know exactly how much I put in or have left over.

Comment

• golfnrl
      golfnrl commented
      Editing a comment
      Storage was a big question. You're right, a 5 gal bucket doesn't take up much space. And I happen to have some gamma lids for air tightness. This is sounding better and better and more doable.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X