First time growing, not sure what it will yield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time growing, not sure what it will yield

I have no doubt that some of you will laugh at this question...but here goes anyway.

I'm unsure whether to continue with this plant. The problem is that in early May, I leave my southern residence where I am growing this plant and head back north. I really don't want to buy another grow tent, so if I stick with this plant, I won't have time to grow another before I leave. If there is a reasonable chance that I will get a couple of ounces from this plant I will stay the course...and do my next grow up north...otherwise I'll start a new grow now with the benefit of what I have learned on this plant, and harvest the new grow just before I leave.

This plant is currently 3 1/2 weeks into flower, therefore I suspect it has at least another 4 1/2 weeks to go.
    Attached Files
    Grow Tent: 3' x 3' x 72", 4' x 4' x 80"
    Grow Lights: 2 x Vivosun VS1000, Vivosun VS2000, HLG 600
    Grow Medium (Bubba Kush): Coco/Perlite Hydroponics Flora Trio
    Grow Medium (White Widow): Coco/Perlite,General Hydroponics Flora Trio

No, a couple of ounces isn't very realistic. The problem is, you won't have time for another crop. How far away are the lights from the top of the canopy? Regardless, I recommend following through with this grow, to its completion...however long it takes. I think you're doing pretty great, for your first crop! You got bigger 'nads than I do, starting off with a hydro grow. I also suggest waiting as long as you can, before beginning your harvest.
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

A few ounces is entirely possible. I see plenty of bud sites. It looks a little stretched out. Maybe lower the lights to 12" to 18". Keep at her.
      keeping it green with the soil thing
      love me some frosty autos
      braap
      BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
      Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
      the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
      blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

Thanks BR2K,

Yeah, I ran into so many problems with this first grow. I have 2 1000W LED's 14" above the highest part of the canopy. I was dealing with nutrient burn, light burn and a myriad of other issues; and spent so much time resolving those problems, that didn't get netting deployed in time to tame and spread out the canopy via LST. The resulting uneven canopy has been a problem with getting my lights as close as I would like.

I really hate to wait around on something that will never come to fruition, but maybe that is the best policy under these circumstances.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• Cali
          Cali commented
          Editing a comment
          Reason why like to recommend a soil mix that is mainly add water. That way you can focus on plant training, environment, proper watering techniques the basics but most important things when growing indoors and new at gardening. Then when you get tired of looking at your plant with nothing to do but watch it grow weed easy, you can go ahead into hydro and other styles and complicate things as much as you’d like.

Originally posted by Going2fast View Post
        A few ounces is entirely possible. I see plenty of bud sites. It looks a little stretched out. Maybe lower the lights to 12" to 18". Keep at her.
        Thanks Going2fast, I do appreciate the feedback from those of you who have done this before.

Regards,

Comment

Imo stay the course. How much will you harvest? It depends. They look light starved (I think this has been corrected?). You need more light. Aside from that, they look good. Finish the grow to harvest. You are on a learning curve. You may have the benefit of this grow, but you have not completed it, so your experience is incomplete. Don't be greedy. An ounce in the jar is worth more than 3 beans in a vial. Imo you should move up to a 4x4 or a 5x5 anyway, and at least 400W LED. Don't count on that 8 weeks total flower time. Plants do not know or care about schedules.
          Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
            Imo stay the course. How much will you harvest? It depends. They look light starved (I think this has been corrected?). You need more light. Aside from that, they look good. Finish the grow to harvest. You are on a learning curve. You may have the benefit of this grow, but you have not completed it, so your experience is incomplete. Don't be greedy. An ounce in the jar is worth more than 3 beans in a vial. Imo you should move up to a 4x4 or a 5x5 anyway, and at least 400W LED. Don't count on that 8 weeks total flower time. Plants do not know or care about schedules.
            Thanks Ckbrew,

I definitely have 2 times the amount of light that I did when I started, however I'm not sure if it is where it needs to be. According to the manufacturer of the lights I have adequate lighting now for the 3' x 3' grow tent (however, it was he manufacture's recommendation on the amount of nutrients to use that got me in trouble early in this grow). That is why there is no substitute for experience, which I am benefiting from by hearing opinions from this forum.

I agree that a larger tent and more lighting would be a good move...I sort of bought this one for shits and giggles, on a whim, for a winter project. That was before I really got hooked. I suspect a larger tent and an Electric Sky ES300 will be in my future.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback....

Comment

Are you aware of the main site?

Just getting started or want to improve your knowledge? This link guide helps you navigate through both beginner-friendly and ultra-advanced growing marijuana tutorials!

There is a wealth of information available in easy to search format. A most useful resource.
              Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
                Are you aware of the main site?

Just getting started or want to improve your knowledge? This link guide helps you navigate through both beginner-friendly and ultra-advanced growing marijuana tutorials!

There is a wealth of information available in easy to search format. A most useful resource.
                Yes...the main site is the only thing that kept this plant from dying weeks ago!

Comment

Being new to this as well I say run it out because it still has a lot to show you before harvest to lay the groundwork for the next plant.

Comment

I think it is possible to get more than an ounce out of it, it’s also possible it won’t make it to harvest. As suggested, grow it out, call it a learning experience and if you get some weed out of it great! A lot can go wrong in late flowering. Also, the cut, trim and dry process is another learning experience. My first plant got over dried real quick, still good stuff but very dry. The second plant cut and dry went way better but the flowers were not as good as the first 🙄. Both were good, but could have been better. Anyway, good luck, I hope you get a nice harvest!

Comment

Jebidiah and bdeegan, I agree. That seems to be the general consensus amongst the experienced growers here. There is still a long way to go, and I may not be done learning from mistakes!

As painful as it is to continue with a grow that didn't turn out the way I hoped, it has to be "chalked up" as a learning experience.

Comment

UberMensch

By all means stick with it, read up on lolly popping to increase bud growth and super cropping to even out your canopy. If you want another crop before the May move, get a couple of pots, some good soil, and drop a few auto beans & tuck em in the corners You have the lights, nutrients tent etc.You'll double your learning and have a few more oz's to take north.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMensch View Post
                          Thanks BR2K,

Yeah, I ran into so many problems with this first grow. I have 2 1000W LED's 14" above the highest part of the canopy. I was dealing with nutrient burn, light burn and a myriad of other issues; and spent so much time resolving those problems, that didn't get netting deployed in time to tame and spread out the canopy via LST. The resulting uneven canopy has been a problem with getting my lights as close as I would like.

I really hate to wait around on something that will never come to fruition, but maybe that is the best policy under these circumstances.

Thanks for the feedback.
                          There are simple ways to maximize your coverage. Tilting the light to one side can get you closer to the lower part of your canopy. Relax you're doing pretty good. I'd recommend tilting a few inches and wait for signs, either way. Start adjusting accordingly. I NEVER have an even canopy. I'm too lazy and stupid to fuss that much Let us know how you fare!!!
                          A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMO View Post
                            UberMensch

By all means stick with it, read up on lolly popping to increase bud growth and super cropping to even out your canopy. If you want another crop before the May move, get a couple of pots, some good soil, and drop a few auto beans & tuck em in the corners You have the lights, nutrients tent etc.You'll double your learning and have a few more oz's to take north.
                            If I had been smart, buying some autos and planting them in my current grow tent would have been the perfect solution. Gonna be interesting how much more money I can spend on my new hobby before my wife starts asking questions!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                            X