My first grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first grow

Hi there, I am new to growing weed fed up of smoking chemically grown weed it's making me ill to extreme levels. I have some prior gardening knowledge of my grandfather and wanted some advice. What proportion of each nutrient would I need to fill a x3 25l plant pots of a soil mix consisting of: Coco coir Bone meal, fish blood and bone, chicken manure, farmyard horse/cow manure, bat guano, perlite, worm castings, live worms, kelp meal, multi purpose compost with John innes, blended loam topsoil, Epsom salts, sulphate of potash
    ​​​​​​It's for 3 autoflowers (Hindu Kush auto sensi seeds, Afghani #1 auto sensi seeds & shiva skunk auto sensi seeds) but should I grow indoor for this time of year or wait til may as I live in Kent England and the weed would thrive in a greenhouse as Kent is referred to as "the garden of England"

Any advice would me much obliged
    Thanks
    Kurt
    Last edited by Kct02; 12-27-2021, 08:32 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	551183 Kct02 Use the "kiss" theory for your first grow, it's a learn as you grow experience. Go to the big box store and get a big ass bag of potting soil, Mj nutrients ph pen, grow light etc. Germinate your seeds, pot em up and put em in an extra closet. Read GWE's growing basics. By may you'll be knee deep in bud. Then you can toss a few outside. This pic, of my first indoor grow,under cfls is before I learned of G.W.E and the importance of defoliation.This was a just to see if I could do it thing with bag seed I've no idea how old,I found in the back of my tool box. 5.5 oz. of melt your face bud. Yay! I've since upgraded my growing area.Start simple and learn as you go!
    Last edited by PRIMO; 12-27-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Yo dude, the advice from Primo is spot on - I'd agree with starting out with just pre-made shop soil first as it will make it alot easier for you - homemade soils are a great option & there's loads of guides/tutorials out there though it does then become another variable that you have to get right, which when starting out first time, I'd say you want minimum variables possible so you can just focus on learning how the plant grows.

Atm, I'm actually growing in just Wilkinson's £1.50 per 15L potting compost, which is cheap, clean & they love it, though all hydro shops/ebay do premium & high quality organic soils for usually round £15 per 50L - I've previously used Plant Magic Soil Supreme, Bio-Bizz All-Mix & GuanoKalong Soil - would recommend all though PM & GK were probably best.

And the advice to just read, grow & learn is the best one, and just bear in mind that any mistakes you may make and most of the things you learn won't generally help on a current grow; you're always only ever learning things for the next grow! Hence, just popping 'em out and getting them growing is best education, as the more you get through, the more you learn, and then all the helpful guides you're reading start making sense and seem more applicable & relevant. I'd always recommend getting comfortable with just being able to grow healthy plants well first, then you can start tweaking soils & other advanced variables to focus on maximizing yield.

Writing down in a diary significant dates, such as re-potting, light switch, feed given, etc is also good to help track & monitor the grow more, as it is easy to forget on what date you did stuff, plus it becomes a reference for future grows on what sort of schedule you're likely looking at, what worked at certain points & when it didn't, etc which again helps when it comes to tweaking future variables.

And you're right too about it'll need to be indoors atm, as is too cold outside sadly, though come Spring then yep outdoors is fine and hopefully be a scorcher too! Good Luck dude!
      Last edited by DaGreenBlazer; 12-27-2021, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Kct02, It is good you have been reading about soils and asking a few questions before just 'jumping in'. It appears you are interested in a good soil medium but you may be over thinking it as you are going to spend a fortune on amendments not necessary and you will have an extremely 'hot' soil. I also was tired of using chemical ferts which made the use of pH adjusting chemicals mandatory. I use a much simpler yet very effective mix with a coir base amended with just a few of what you mention that are the basics cannabis really needs plus I add microbial spores to create a microbe colony and that is the key to healthy productive plants without ever even checking my pH because they create an environment that makes it unnecessary. Read my just completed auto grow journal which explains a lot more and also find a recipe or even a ready mix at a site called Build A Soil. They have a U tube channel with several videos about an organic soil mix recipe called Clackamas Coots. He used sphagnum Peat moss. I use Coco Coir which I believe is better for several reasons. They are infomercials but have very good info on how to procede. I will be starting a new grow next week on the full moon; a photo run but the same soil just dumped out from last grow and renewed with fresh amendments and microbe spores. Good luck however you decide to go and Happy Pharming!
        Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 12-27-2021, 02:29 PM.
        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
        make pH correction unnecessary
        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Be really brave. Follow the beginners guide for soil at the GWE site. Don't over think this. I've done continuous indoor grows over the last few years, with significant improvements each time. I've found that KISS applies very well to growing fine weed. There are a lot of differing views expressed on this forum. In any number of them it boils down to a "growing philosophy" . It's VERY easy to get "paralysis by analysis" or the reverse, the overwhelming desire to do something proactive which may be worse than doing nothing.

You appear to have put some thought into this. Congratulations! You are two steps ahead of most newbies, Pick a growing style and philosophy and follow it for your entire grow. Next grow do something different. After four or five grows you will be on a roll. Keep us posted.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Welcome aboard Kct02. I stumbled across this web community in my quest for cannabis grow information. It's the best on the net as far as I am concerned. Oh there is def other good info out there but you won't go wrong following along and asking questions of this fine community of growers. I am still trying to find my growing niche. I like the simplicity of soil and have an auto grow going in FFOF blend with Bio-tabs amendments. But I am intrigued with growing in coco/perlite and will be running a photo grow in that medium beginning in late Feb or March. I grow in Autopots. They are simple, have very little maintenance, and are very easy to use. I found autopots while looking for a better watering system to accommodate my travel schedule. Good luck with whatever you decide. Also, if you ask a grow question about your plants remember to include the details about your grow. Take a look at some posts and you'll see what I mean.
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Growing weed comes with lots of options and growers have even more opinions. I started out doing everything. Soil, hydro, currently including coco in my grow. Start simple and add in as you become more experienced. Would have saved me heartache. Good luck
              “Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young
              ”I think I can, I think I can…”the little engine that could

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X