Amber Trichomes - Not White Haze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amber Trichomes - Not White Haze

I have a strain that is fairly new - Peyote Wi-Fi - at least nobody I know has ever heard of that strain. It was created by Seedsman, which is where I purchased the seeds.

The strain has an exceptionally long flowering period - 75 days. I'm at about day 68 of the flowering stage and...I'm confused.

Without going into a long story about issues in the veg stage, nothing really stood out as a problem until about half-way through the flowering stage. Even pics from 3 weeks ago are of a really full, growing perfectly plant.

I noticed no growth after about the second week of flowering. In fact, everything looked beautiful through when the flowers / leaves changed color - which were really awesome. I said "were" because the colors only lasted a couple of weeks, then much of the leaves - big fans and little but not anything on the buds - started dying off. So now the buds are...naked.
    If this were my first grow I wouldn't know any better - but it's not. I keep thinking I did something wrong...but I'm at a loss as to what.

When the plant was flourishing, I had the light about 14 inches from the plant. The books says 16 to 20. I watched closely but didn't see issues until, I'm guessing, it was too late. I did raise the light to 16 inches, but it seems everything went south at the same time. The leaves, after changing color, dried up and died and I thought it was like outdoor plants and trees. After the leaves turn cool colors, they die and fall off.

The buds still look nice, but didn't "plump". It's not drinking much either. Of the 6 gallon water reservoir, when I change the water every week, only about 2 gallons are used...but I change it anyway.
    I even worried about the roots having an issue, so I checked a couple of weeks ago and they look great! Pretty much white and growing everywhere.

The last couple of weeks I've been watching closely and taking close-up pics to review the state of the trichomes. From day 1 of checking the trichomes, I saw "amber" inside a few - not many...just a few. I blew it off because the plant colors are yellow variations. Take a look at the pics.

I did some investigation and found 1 person in Seedsman who had grown the same strain in hydro, with much colder outdoor temps that I have, and his leaves were a very dark purple!

Ok...so the colors are different. What's the problem?

The problem is, now that I'm at day 68, I've been trying to understand what's going on with the trichomes color. In the pics (attached) showing the leaves I didn't take close up shots of the trichomes because they were empty - obviously. It was too immature at that point. That was 4 weeks ago. (I'm also stumped why there was no additional growth upward, and none in width.)

I started taking pics of the trichomes around the 20th of November (not quite 2 weeks ago). As you can see from the sample image, the trichomes went from clear to ?amber?
    "I" have never seen that. Has anybody else?

So my question now is, how in the world can I determine when the trichomes are at the "nicely filled with hazy white" with just a few beginning to turn amber?
    That's always my trigger to harvest - before they turn amber and cause couch lock.

Is there a consensus about perhaps some other issue that's not readily apparent? Was that 2 inch difference in distance of the light burning the plant?

I change the hydro weekly. I add Hydroguard with every change. I only use General Hydroponics Nutes. And, for the first time which is this grow, I've used all 3 of the GH nutes together as directed. All previous grows were done "without" Bloom until I switched to the bloom stage - 12/12. And all previous grows came out NICE! I had over a pound (wet) of Jack Herer in a previous grow.

I did also switch from a 100W light (in a 2 x 3 area) to a 200W light that has better coverage. The current LED light covers just beyond my grow area in both directions - Maxsisun PB2000. I began using that light just after the colors came out in the plant.

Before this grow I'd never had any plant show it's colors and found that cooling during bloom will do the trick. I opened a huge window in the grow area, and using 2 small fans within 6 inches of the floor (because they pick up cold air from the floor and the hot air in the room at about head-height wasn't cooling anything) at the front of the reservoir allowed the temp to drop into mid to upper 70's. I could control the temp by allowing more or less cold air into the grow area by opening or closing the doors to the grow area.

I'm stumped. And I'm worried about how to now "guestimate" when to harvest. December 9th is 75 days. But I don't harvest that way. I look at the trichomes. When all have filled and just a few have started to turn amber, I harvest. Well that theory is out now...
    Attached Files

You said you weren't going to go into a long story.

type of light? humidity? they could be big factors...some strains like it more arid that others like Alaskan Purple or the light might not be a good one...wattage doesn't tell the whole story... If it was a proper full spectrum light at 14 inches it should have gotten some light burn in my opinion...
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

The way-too-easy thing to say is that maybe it was just a bum pheno. Bud growth usually takes off from week 2 and peaks around week 5 and 6. If it was environmental, I might guess that the light period was messed with or there may have been an uncaught light leak. I'm not seeing any sign of reveg, so that rules out a long-term light leak or timer malfunction. I've got a Peyote Wi-Fi seed waiting to germinate myself, so I'm praying it isn't the genetics.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        UndergroundFarmer, dilvish once again something is a bit off here. WebGuyTom joined in Feb of 17 but has posted only 17 times? This happens once in a great while but not 10 diff people this month and that's what I have been noticing. Very weird I think! Tom if you are bona fide just say so and I will apologize. Perhaps SiriusFourside or NebulaHaze have been entering wrong dates at registration?

I think imma gonna leave this one to someone who likes to engage in long explainations. Sounds like a case of light burn/heat premature ripening effect.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X