Advice on fans (not leaves), please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on fans (not leaves), please

Good morning! So it's Cyber Monday which might not matter with the 'rainforest's' pricing schemes. I'm looking for an oscillating fan that might last a spell, I see black fans on the floor facing upwards in many of your tents. I clicked on a few on the A but older reviews=great, current=not so good. Please share you brand/size, approximate date of purchase and recommendations. Thank you very much. I'm trying to get ready grow again!
    Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
    Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
    Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
    Various size fabric grow bags
    Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
    4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
    Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Imo fans are a low tech item that no matter what you get, running 27/7 for months at a time, they are going to burn out, especially with the junk that is being produced these days. I'm sure there are some quality units out there, but you are going to pay $$$ for them. My approach is to get the cheapest 6 inch clip on fan I can find, get and install a bunch of them, and have some on hand as spares for when one quits. Unfortunately we live in a disposable world where mechanical items are manufactured to low standards/tolerances. After 2 years, they have about a 35% replacement rate but they are very inexpensive. Sometimes it is just easier to go with the flow.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      There are some on Cyber Monday deal prices, good brands but poor reviews for more recent purchases, like barely or not even lasting through a photo grow. I have clip fans but wanted an oscillating that I can keep lower, pointed upward. One was table or wall hang but very poor reviews for recent purchases. Not sure but thought about getting an oscillating floor/stand fan. Other than CM deals I just put items on a Honey watchlist, prices change like the wind. Thanks.

• Jebidiah
      Jebidiah commented
      Editing a comment
      I went with the cheapest oscillating towers I could find with no lights on them (hard to find) put a small one low and a tall one above it. I’m still learning and not running my tent full but this seems to be pretty good for what I’m doing right now and I feel like I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of them already.

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ckbrew I have 3 out on 4 clip-ons still working, for now. Growing in a closet limits where I can stick them, clip onto, no poles. I bought four tension rods to double up and put on each end of the closet for clip-ons but I'd like to find an oscillating fan, thinking of one on a pole with legs/feel that fit in between pots and saucers, and the height adjusts.

Comment

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi - I started with two tower fans that I had already owned. The white one burned out. The base on the silver/black one has a very large diameter, like bigger than a pot's saucer, a plant's worth of floor area. To me, it seemed if not raised the tower fan's air hit the pots more than circulating air all around, I was using plastic then, fabric now. If growing autos or during veg I used the big-bottom tower fan outside the closet, like a wedge in the middle of the bi-fold doors. I was thinking of a typical osc fan on a 'pole' that you use anywhere, the height adjusts and the feet/legs would fit in better. But I wonder still about what I see in tents, the black osc fans on the floor pointing upward. I've only trashed 1 out of 4 clip-on fans so far but growing in a closet I don't always have poles where needed. Thank you for posting your pics.

I have a cheap $10 fan that works just fine. don't overthink fans. they only push the air around, not cool it, so the key is to get something that blows gently enough to keep the plants moving
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      If I was growing in a tent with poles it'd be easier to place fans and circulate air. I fought the heat in summer, it'll be back again but winter seems the cheaper time to buy a fan.

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      Puglover1 I bought a clip on and a Honeywell non osc floor fan at the Goodwill for $8 total. Coming up on a year of constant running They or most thrift stores carry them in stock all the time. I didn't want a tower but they had a couple there at the time. Coming up on a year of almost constant
      use now so I need to check for them again as these must be on borrowed time. Also don't forget that most things will be cheaper after the holidays....hopefully!

Howdy Puglover1, I have had very good results using the Fillipi V8 Vornado fan (about $29 from the big 'A'). They oscillate (or not) and has two speeds. I use two in my grow room, one at each end. I have had to replace tow of them in the last ten grows, so I consider them to be very reliable as I run them 24/7. Oh, they are manually adjustable in the up and down angle.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

I've had good luck with a couple of Monkeyfans from the grow shop. I've also had a Vivosun quit me, so I opened it up and found where the power cord had been worked in two on one wire. It was just bent too many times the same way from the oscillation and broke. I pulled some slack and fixed it with a wire nut and it is now my backup. Things work for a reason and when they don't work, there's a reason for that too.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X