Pot size comparison for auto plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pot size comparison for auto plants

Okay - I'm an autoflower grower. This mornings email from GWE has got me thinking. Does the container size really make any difference if you're growing autoflowers? Last year was my first year growing outside. Based on the fact that they were all autos does it make any difference at all if they're grown in a 3 gallon pot or a 10 gallon pot? Since the autoflowers are on their own time schedule does it (really) make a difference which pot to use? Who's got some experience growing autos outside?
    I'm an old man now. I don't want to drag around a 10 gallon pot if I really only need to drag around a three or five gallon pot to be as efficient. Get what I'm saying?
    Mother Earth Coco/Perlite 70/30
    Canna Coco Or
    Happy Frog soil
    Fox Farms nutrients trio
    Smart pots
    Vivosun tent, LED lite & fan

Semper Fi brothers and sisters!

Not a auto grower but if the plants are small as mine have been go for 3-5 gal.
    1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
    1 sf2000 @200 watts
    2 philzon @230 watts
    2x4x5 tent
    3x6x8 closet
    Fox Farm ocean forest
    Black gold for seedling
    3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
    RH 40-60
    Temp 70-80
    Feeding with FF trio with molasses
    calmag and a little flower fuel
    Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      If they are growing outside they should get quite large. If you're growing inside, I can see by using a smaller pot that would keep them smaller. That's what I have to do due to the small tent that I have. Thanks for writing. Happy growing!

These autos are/were in 135 gallon pot, they got 4+ to 7+ feet tall (they are Wet Teddy Bears (~90 days), and a couple of slow pokes (~120 days). One does not move 135 gallon pot, you gotta get it right the first time. Oh ya, there were 12 plants in this pot, the WTB gave up 6 quarts each with the SP giving 21 quarts or seeded bud.
    I have back issues and I aint movin shit! LOL The difs I see would be feeding and watering.

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      So it looks like it DOES make a difference what size pot they are in. Those are pretty damn big! I do want the option to move them if needed so you have answered my question. Thank you sir!

its all related to the strain but typically autos grow smaller. not sure why you would want to keep moving the pots but a good rule of thumb would be 5 gallon IMHO for autos whether indoor or out.

Smaller pots just means grow more plants if yield is your biggest issue.
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

It's all about the strains jamesphoto in my opinion. I find the largest autos i've grown came from folks who bred them. Locals on here some don't come around anymore, but they know breeding and i found 5gal for autos work just fine.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are my own autos in the pic above, I have another to do this spring. I call this one Margie after the greasiest gal I ever new (auto mechanic). I hope these do as well as the WTBs!

As SoOrbudgal said, strains make a huge dif, many I have grown only got 18"-24" tall while others got 48"+ tall, and that is what they were supposed to do per the breeder. 90 days vs 120 days, well the longer they take the bigger they grow, the bigger they grow the more they can yield.
      The larger the pot the harder it is to move
      Small pots need water and feed more often than larger pots
      A plant that is to grow only 18"-24" tall will not grow taller in more soil
      For indoor I would do 5-7 gallon fabric pots, though I have ran 30 gallon the autos still only got 18", I just did not need to water or feed as much. There is a balance for each grower, for me disability rules.

Comment

And then you have the 1 gal container grow (photo clone, grown in previously used soil,about 2 weeks into flowering)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3626.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	547864
        "That's your fortress of fucking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you. Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you. Boss pisses you off, fuck you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink"

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Awww those are fond memories the folgers grow " Great part of waking up "

• GreenState
          GreenState commented
          Editing a comment
          SoOrbudgal The funny thing about the Folgers, one day I came home and there were 6 boxes stacked on my front steps---36 containers! My Dad decided to send me some coffee, free shipping from Walmart....he hit the wrong button..he wanted to send me 6 containers, not 6 boxes of 6 (lol)

Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• GreenState
          GreenState commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! They are fun to grow. I didn't have the heart to kill off the 2 clones I had, after I had recloned them. The bitch is, they'll be on their own for 8 days at Christmas, fingers crossed they will survive. The other 4 clones I took have rooted, after the hoilday I'll get more serious about growing them.

Thank you all for your comments. I grow as a hobby. I can't smoke due to work. Next summer I'm going to grow some of Richard's seeds (he knows who he is). Some autos, some photos. I'll probably grow them all in 5 gallon pots. I move them due to nosy neighbors and to follow the Sun. I'm not all that concerned about the yields I get from each plant. I'm pretty much sharing with only family and friends.
        Mother Earth Coco/Perlite 70/30
        Canna Coco Or
        Happy Frog soil
        Fox Farms nutrients trio
        Smart pots
        Vivosun tent, LED lite & fan

Semper Fi brothers and sisters!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X