Top or Bottom...Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top or Bottom...Feed

Soooooo I'm probably over thinking this, but would a plant benefit from Soaking or Absorbing water from the bottom as opposed to being watered directly from the top?????

Please, shower me with knowledge

With this subject like most things with growing you will get ppl saying both ways are better but I was wondering if switching to self watering pots would be beneficial but I wasn't sure how u would no when to water again I no this dosent add much knowledge for u but maby u can drop some knowledge on me

Comment

• Rooster
      Rooster commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I've watched a few videos that said watering from the top invites more chance of disease, but I dont know. I was thinking of getting one of those trays that catches excess water and allowing my plants to drink whenever they deem it necessary.

Then again, I would hate to underwater them.

• StoneyTony
      StoneyTony commented
      Editing a comment
      Sitting water under light can develop algae. Also, I would think that the roots at the bottom would develop root rot sitting in water. If they don't get oxygen they will die. JMTC

So u would just water your trays and let it soak up wht it wants? Another thing doesn't watering from the top help push out old or bad water/extra nutres u wouldn't get tht anymore and did they give a reason why water from the top invites disease?

Comment

• Rooster
      Rooster commented
      Editing a comment
      Honestly Buds, that reference about watering from the top was talking about roses.... so I just assumed that would apply to all plants.

As for washing out bad water/nutes, I'm going to be using a super soil, so I'm trying to keep all of my nutes from washing out. Remember, I'm not even a novice yet. I'm still just a noob who theorizes about his potential grow. You would know more than I, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

U have to take everything with a grain of salt when it comes to growing pot everyone does it different and says it's the best and I would assume if watering Rose's would invite disease then the same for all plants too just dnt no wht their reasoning for it is anyways ive always wanted to do a super soil but never will unless I can buy a property somewhere else so I would have to agree tht watering from the bottom would be best for you.thanks for the info and I no u said trays but have you checked out self watering pots? I think ud like them

Comment

• Rooster
      Rooster commented
      Editing a comment
      I can appreciate the concept because it makes it virtually impossible to over water.... My concern is airflow to the roots. I was thinking some fabric pots, throw in some kind soil & perilite, then I cant go wrong. Still, the self watering pots are definitely worth researching some more.

You no wht you could just use fabric pots and put them into some kind of container full of water to soak and take them out then no worries about oxygen you've obviously thought about it alot should work out great for u with awesome tasting organic buds

Comment

• Rooster
      Rooster commented
      Editing a comment
      But heres the kicker, would I use a container the same size as the fabric pot OR should I just get a tray of good depth (but not the same depth of the pot) just to ensure I don't drown the roots???

This is awesome feedback, btw. Thank you

No problem and I dnt think it would matter what size the container is because u have control of how high the water level is but at the sane time I see no need for the container to be as deep as your pot

Comment

Wait r u talking about Dunkin the pots tell they soak full from the bottom and then taking them out or just leaving them in a puddle of water

Comment

• Rooster
        Rooster commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking more along the lines of letting them soak in water, so they can absorb what they need. I googled this topic, and most people seem to think bottom feeding isnt all that necessary, so I'll probably just go with the top feed.

I still plan on using the fabric pots, but I'll just take caution when watering them

You could always water tell u see a very little water come out or even pick the pot up to feel how heavy it is

Comment

you would think that with watering from the bottom the roots will shoot for the bottom of the pot to drink. My uncle said that is how he did it back in the 70's. He would take his container and put many holes in the bottom and up the sides a bit. Then he would take a catch basin and fill it with medium to larger rocks on the bottom and set the container on top of that. Then he would just water the catch basin and it would soak into the bottom of the container. He was saying not to put too much water in there as it might promote root rot but it will make the roots search for water at the bottom of the container instead of just hanging out near the top.
        I would like to try this on my next go round. The thing I am worried about is the algae or mold growing in the rocks of the catch basin. Think you would still need to put the nutes in from the top and occasionally water from the top every other time otherwise the nutes will crust up in the catch basin. Dunno

Comment

• Rooster
          Rooster commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, cool. Lol, maybe I'll try it with just one plant for now.

Dunking is what it's called,... 2 or 3 gal. Smart pot placed in a 5 gal. Bucket fill with water or nutes to top of soil,until bubbles stop,take out and drain on rack......done! Any way that's my take on it.peace

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X