How to prevent algae?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! How to prevent algae?

Hi y'all quick question here. I'm doing hydros atm and having a wee issue. I'm using white 15L buckets with clay pellets, no holes or anything for light to get through but still i have algea in the buckets. Im sure its not doing any good, it's on the roots too... what can I do to prevent it?

Also I think the plants grow a little weird like they have soo big bottom leaves, any reason for that?

Thanks!!

I think you'll find that the white plastic bucket is not opaque and won't keep light out. One way to check is to put a flashlight inside one in a darkened room. If you can see the glow through the bucket then you're getting infiltration.

Comment

I dont see any light inside, tried with a flashlight. I change buckets to make sure but is there any product I can use to get rid of algae? Like stuff you would use for aquarium? That should be safe for the roots innit?

Comment

algae only forms if there is enough light leaking into the res. There really is not anything that i know of to kill the algae that wont kill the roots. You can use hydrogen peroxide in small amounts to kill algae, but if you are using beneficial bacteria (like hydroguard) it will kill that too. The best way to fight algae is to prevent it. That means eliminating any light that gets into the res and thorough disinfection if you see it. I would make sure all holes cut into top of res are sealed. I didnt have any luck with white buckets when i did hydro.

Comment

I started out using grey totes and had just enough light getting through the plastic to cause problems. I used foil tape like that used for HVAC duct work on the lids and it solved the light from affecting my reservoir. A flash light is a week light to test for light passing through plastic when using one to check make sure it has fresh battery's and hold it tight against the lid or bottom of bucket (both are flat surfaces) while closed up in room or tent with lights off if you see a glow light is getting through the plastic. With the light levels emitted by our lights I'm 99% sure your getting filtered light through the white plastic causing you issue.

Comment

Howdy ufzsolo, What is the water temperature in the buckets? The temperature needs to be kept between 62°F to 70°F (17°C to 21°C) to help prevent the algae from growing. The white buckets, most likely, are allowing in some light, but You could also have light infiltration through the clay pebbles in the net pots as well. I use ice bottles (changed out as needed) to keep the water temperature down within range and I cover the tops of the net pots with aluminum foil to keep out the light. Keeping the water very well aerated will also help to keep the algae in check, I am currently using four 4 inch by 2 inch air stones in each of my 10 gallon reservoirs.
            Good luck with Your grow.
            Last edited by DW2; 11-09-2021, 02:16 PM. Reason: correction
            Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Been there...done that.

It's light, plain and simple.
              WHAT???
              5x5 grow space
              900w of Vero's and F-strips
              4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Light could also be passing through the clay pellets. I had that issue early on in my last grow. Plants developed root rot. A reservoir change seemed to help at first, but the root rot returned.

After that, I took an old towel, cut X's in it, and fitted it around my plants. Not a long term solution, as the towel absorbed moisture and I'm sure was destined to become a mold farm. But the root rot disappeared and I had my answer. Picked up some plastic sheeting used in gardens and replaced the towels with that. The root rot didn't come back.

Comment

Yeah it turned out it was the white bucket. I grabbed some tape and tinfoilz wrapped around it and now its perfect, no algea what so ever. Thanks y'all!!!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X