How To Think About Purchasing LED Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Think About Purchasing LED Lights

I am about to purchase some new lights and think I have come up with a simple way to think about how to decide on which lights are best for you. My conclusions support Nebula Haze's recommendations but this may be helpful for some of you. I realize we must all work within our budgets but sometimes investing a little more in our equipment will pay great dividends. For me the decision was whether to continue with the Electric Sky 300's or move to something else. Here is my reasoning.

First of all make sure your lights are certified by a non-manufacturer authority like UL, ETL, CSA, CE for electrical safety and RoHS for hazardous substances.

Secondly, look at how well the manufacturer takes care of its' customers.

Thirdly, look into the quality of the light diodes and driver. The two leading drivers are Meanwell and OSRAM. The right genuine Samsung diodes are considered top of the line. Cheaper diodes and lower quality drivers mean that your lights will not last as long meaning you will end up paying more when you have to replace your lights in 3 years while your buddy with the better lights gets 8 years of use before his or her lights fail. Also various lights fail to produce as much light over time. The lights I chose will replace my diodes if I have more than 90% dimming during the first 5 years. Lights have various ratings for their life. The lights I plan to purchase are rated: 50,000+ Hours [11.4 yrs flower / 7.6 yrs veg].

Thirdly make sure the light spectrum produced is appropriate for your grow. Those of us who have been around awhile remember MH for veg and HPS for flower. Now the trend with LED's seems to be full spectrum.

Finally check on the lights output. All else being equal higher PAR values mean higher harvest weights. See the following charts. The first is for the lights I had invented to purchase and the second chart is for the light I plan to purchase, the Electric Sky 300 v3. I calculated that the light cost 27% more but will the PAR values are 30% higher. One way to look at this is that in 3⅓ grows the more expensive lights will have paid for themselves assuming that harvest weight increases at the same percentage of the higher PAR values. Another way to look a this is if the cost of an ounce of cannabis were $300 an ounce where you live and if the lights increased your harvest from 3 ounces to 3.3 ounces you could recover the cost in one grow from just 4 plants with 20% extra yield as a nice bonus. Where I live we are allowed 6 plants in veg and 6 in flower. So in this scenario I would recover the cost in 1 grow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 09.51.20.png
Views:	190
Size:	646.5 KB
ID:	546089

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 09.51.53.png
Views:	207
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	546090
    I hope that this helps some of you with your LED light purchase decision making.

5' x 5' Gorilla Grow Tent (flower) AC Infinity Cloudline T8, Quiet Inline Duct Fan System with Temperature and Humidity Controller
    3' x 3'Gorilla Grow Tent (veg) AC Infinity Cloudline S6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan with Speed Controller

Two 2' T-5 fixtures with 4 tubes each for veg
    Two Electric Sky 300 V2 Wideband LED grow lights for flower

Water only / Super soil from KIS Organics

Current favorites: Aurora Indica, Nebula CBD, Northern Light, Pure Power Plant

all I have to say is scrap the "CE" certification. It is a "self administered" certification and has virtually no weight in the safety realm. Add to that many CE certifications are fake and it is a growing concern.

Spend the extra money on well built products that are thoroughly safety tested and approved by government level certification like UL, CSA and ETL.

Forget the ratings or personal reviews on Amazon etc. If you want to know if a product is a solid choice, contact the manufacturer directly, look at the warranty and see if the company has had complaints listed on consumer advocate sites like the Better Business Bureau or Consumer & Corporate affairs sites.
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• Organic357
      Organic357 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the correction Dilvish. You are right about CE.

• dilvish
      dilvish commented
      Editing a comment
      ViparSpectra has some really good products, many of which have UL certification, but not all so choose wisely

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X