young plant seems to be struggling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

young plant seems to be struggling

Both of these gals were planted as a seed in dirt at the same time. Northern Lights on the left and Silver Haze on the right. I am planning to try Nebulas Manifolding technique with these. The Northern Lights plant is really taking off nicely. The silver Haze is much smaller and "crinkly" looking. Is that just a difference in strain or is the Silver Haze struggling? So far only have given them water and they are currently under CFL bulbs and I'll be switching to metal halide in the next day or so. I was waiting to switch until they were both healthy looking. This is only my 3rd grow so I'm new at this. Maybe this is normal? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
    Attached Files

Sometimes you do get runs but might be a few things. Make sure your not overwatering. Maybe the CFL is to close and it's getting to hot. Try raising the bulb some and see if that helps.
    640 watt hlg quantum board
    320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
    300 watt mars hydro sp3000
    150 watt hlg quantum board
    100 watt spider farmer led x2
    organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
    Water only i don't check ph
    6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'll try moving the bulb and cutting back on the water. Thanks!

Comment

Could be a number of reasons but likely the strain if all other factors are equal...some like more light, some like less water some like more nutrients, heat, humidity...you get the idea.
        I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Thanks. Here is a closer look at the struggling plant. There is one leaf turning yellow and several of the leaves have an odd not healthy look to them. this is what I described above as "crinkly". Thanks!
          Attached Files

Comment

Seedlings tend to do some weird things but again light and too much water may be your biggest issues. Those type of pots could also be the problem as could the PH of your water.

Terra cotta pots are great for growing outdoors when in full sun but they tend to have poor drainage because they only have one hole at the bottom and I assume yours are the same. Fabric pots or thin plastic pots with plenty of drain holes ensure proper runoff so that the roots, as the plant gets bigger, don't sit in water.

If your temps are on the cool side then the soil underneath the topsoil won't dry out very fast (or at all) and the roots will always be starving for air because of the drainage and thickness of the pots.

Make sure you are testing the PH. That is a step largely missed by first time growers and it can be a real benefit to the final outcome of the grow.
            I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

dilvish thank you for the tip. I just ordered a PH tester. The water I'm using is filtered, but I have no idea what the PH is. I'll move them to fabic pots as well. Im having a little bit of trouble with my Northern Lights plan that was doing really well. The both of the leaves on the firs node have dried up and are crispy. I'm planning to manifold these plants so I believe I will eventually be cutting this growth off. Not sure what exactly happened. The leaves stayed a light green color and I didn't even realized they had dried to the crisp until I touched them. Any ideas on that. Photo of one of the leaves below. Thanks!
              Attached Files

Comment

manifolding should not be attempted on Autos...just an FYI. Also, CFL's can generate heat too so if the leaves are crisping but you are watering properly then the bulbs are too close to the plant.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X