Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can these really both be Durban Poison? help identifying please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can these really both be Durban Poison? help identifying please!

Hi there folks -- i'm in my first season of growing and I got some durban poison seeds - or at least thats what I was told they were. But now that the plants are quite mature i'm finally realizing the obvious - that they really are not likely the same strain. I suppose even just the shape and structure of the plants would have given it away - but now that they both have near-mature flowers, they smell different to. So I'm hoping some more experienced folks can help me guess what i'm growing.

Plant 1: maybe 9feet tall, branches really kinda fan out with a lot of smaller offshoots (a bunch of clusters of buds off different sub-branches), and the smell of the bud I would describe as a bit fruity/sweet.

Plant 2: has been quite a bit smaller than plant 1 - a lot narrower but now is maybe only a foot shorter, and the structure is way different - thinner, and each branch has less offshoots - its mainly just a single row of buds. These buds have a more astringent, lemony smell to them.

what do you all think? can they both be Durban? or does one sound more classicly like durban than the other? and if so what guesses does anyone have about what it could be if not durban?
    really appreciate any help - thanks!
    Attached Files

I’ve been told that DP is not a big yield plant, those appear to be...

Comment

Where did the seed come from?
      Hybrid vs strain, many seed sold are not strains, but hybrids. Strains produce near matching plants while hybrids do not or may. One of my own hybrids gave up 3 different plants, 2 looked indica while another looked sativa. (The sativa was destroyed by bugs). But even the indicas did not look alike, just as yours dont look alike.
      Bag seed you may now one parent but where did the other come from?

[Edit] I found this looking around under not for beginners.
      Durban Poison – Tends to grow tall and shows a variety of unusual phenotypes, can be tough to clone. You don’t know what to expect when growing a Durban Poison seed. This strain originates from Africa and buds produce a unique “up” effect. Buds tend to be incredibly potent though not often “pretty” in the conventional sense with longer sugar leaves. Unusually quick to harvest, especially for a Sativa-leaning strain.
      [/Edit}
      Last edited by Rwise; 10-24-2021, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I suppose in the end it does't really matter Your not keeping seed so the important thing is do they produce and are potent, right? If you were breeding it would be important to know IMHO.
        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
        make pH correction unnecessary
        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
          Where did the seed come from?
          Hybrid vs strain, many seed sold are not strains, but hybrids. Strains produce near matching plants while hybrids do not or may. One of my own hybrids gave up 3 different plants, 2 looked indica while another looked sativa. (The sativa was destroyed by bugs). But even the indicas did not look alike, just as yours dont look alike.
          Bag seed you may now one parent but where did the other come from?

[Edit] I found this looking around under not for beginners.[/Edit}
          Thanks for all the responses -- these were from Crop King Seeds -- and definitely a hybrid as opposed to pure strain. the proof is in the pipe though -- so its true it doesnt really matter -- and whatever the genetics actually are - the end result is impressive -- seems like a nice smoke so far (early matured branches already dried and in cure) and its hard to even fathom how much flower is going to come off this tree... and thats not even beginning to consider the second, slightly smaller plant.
          also - for those interested - someone told me that the taller pointier plant looks like it re-vegged. I think they're right.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X