Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawaiian Sativa, First tent grow

Hey All,

I'd like to know if anyone in here has grown Hawaiian Sativa and what kind of issues I might encounter and what to lookout for.
    I got 5 feminized seeds from Montreal Cannabis Seeds

As the title says, this will be my first time growing in an actual grow tent. Ive grown a half dozen times. A few times out in the bush and a few in a closet. I have not had good success. I know most of the reason for my poor success has been due to a list of different reasons. A lot of it was due to bad environment, poor soil and nutrients, laziness and thinking I can handle more than I actually can as a rookie. I've posted my setup in a previous post back in April but I decided to do an outdoor grow this summer and it got ruined by a tornado.

Here is my setup.

On shelving unit
    3 X 18" T5 with plastic propagator (for seedlings)
    2 X 45 Watt "Root Farm" LED panel (for 2-4 weeks veg with LST)
    Large whole room humidifier (it gets really dry in the winter in my house.)
    Oscillating fan

For flowering,
    24"x48"x60" grow tent
    190 CFM inline fan with speed controller & carbon filter (mounted outside tent)
    4 X Cree CXB3590 COB's with a 250w LED driver at 1400mA without a dimmer. Setup on 4"x 42" rail about 10" apart. (mounted at top of tent)
    2 X Fans, 1 small at the top of the tent, 1 medium oscillating fan on the floor of the tent
    Small humidifier on floor of tent

Small seedling pots
    Solo cup size pots
    3/4 gal pots
    3 gal pots
    Black Gold seedling mix
    Fox Farm Happy Frog soil
    Extra perlite
    RO water
    Remo nutrients Supercharged kit
    PH tester, TDS tester
    Syringes for dispensing nutrients

I only plan on growing only 1 plant as I don't want to overdo anything or over work myself as I work full time and can't take care of too many plants and I don't want to have too much to do at harvest.
    Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by mustang14282 View Post
    I only plan on growing only 1 plant as I don't want to overdo anything or over work myself as I work full time and can't take care of too many plants and I don't want to have too much to do at harvest.
    Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
    In my experience doing the work for 4 is just about the same as the work for 1. In general I found the indoor grow to be comprised of long periods of boredom inter-spaced with short periods of frantic intense work. Maybe its just me but I thought a bunch of work at harvest was a good thing. You look like you are off to a good start, don't limit yourself, run with it. Happy growing.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
      Maybe its just me but I thought a bunch of work at harvest was a good thing.
      Yes a bunch of work at harvest is good but when you are a rookie and you are doing it by yourself, having 4 plants to cut, trim, dry and cure is a lot to do for me. Especially having a family and working 10hr days 5-6 days a week. Maybe it's just me but it gets a little overwhelming.

Thanks for the kind words, I hope it turns out as good as I hope

Comment

• Ckbrew
        Ckbrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, sometimes life gets busy and complicated. All we can do is try hard, plan for the best and be prepared for the worst. Just a thought, not trying to twist your arm, go for 2 just in case one fails, it happens to the best.

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        I stagger the harvest so I am not doing more than 1 plant at a time, maybe 1 plant a day for days.

Yes a bunch of work at harvest is good but when you are a rookie and you are doing it by yourself, having 4 plants to cut, trim, dry and cure is a lot to do for me. Especially having a family and working 10hr days 5-6 days a week. Maybe it's just me but it gets a little overwhelming.

Thanks for the kind words, I hope it turns out as good as I hope
      Can you get any family members to help with the trimming? I've only had one harvest, and that consisted of two plants. My girlfriend helped, and it still took us two days! (All weekend, basically.)

The long hours involved in that harvest has led to some changes for my 2nd grow. I realize now that I kept wayyy too many colas. Crowded the tent, blocked light to bud sites, and resulted in a ton of stems with half-decent buds rather than a manageable number of dense colas.

Comment

Originally posted by DoSiGrow View Post

Can you get any family members to help with the trimming? I've only had one harvest, and that consisted of two plants. My girlfriend helped, and it still took us two days! (All weekend, basically.)

The long hours involved in that harvest has led to some changes for my 2nd grow. I realize now that I kept wayyy too many colas. Crowded the tent, blocked light to bud sites, and resulted in a ton of stems with half-decent buds rather than a manageable number of dense colas.
        My wife will help if I ask her but only for so long. She gets tired of doing it for too long.

All my past harvests (as terrible as they have been) have made me make all these changes too. It's the main reason why I'm doing only 1 plant. I'm tired of all the wasted time and money with poor success.

Comment

You say your harvest has been poor. Not familiar with that light but from what I saw on Amazon, not impressed, but you do have 4 of them. A decent light is key to a good grow. A spider farmer SF 2000 would go well in a 2x4 tent.
          Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

My wife will help if I ask her but only for so long. She gets tired of doing it for too long.

All my past harvests (as terrible as they have been) have made me make all these changes too. It's the main reason why I'm doing only 1 plant. I'm tired of all the wasted time and money with poor success.
            I really hope this grow goes better for you so you can restock your shelves and regain some confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
              You say your harvest has been poor. Not familiar with that light but from what I saw on Amazon, not impressed, but you do have 4 of them. A decent light is key to a good grow. A spider farmer SF 2000 would go well in a 2x4 tent.
              You're not eh? It was sold to me as it was supposed to be superior to other LED lights. I bought it used from a friend. It's another reason I'm only growing 1 plant. I want to minimize my losses if the light turns out to be insufficient. Once I see what results I get with better soil, nutrients and a better controlled environment then I'll decide on the light. I have a few in my wishlist on amazon.

Comment

• Ckbrew
                Ckbrew commented
                Editing a comment
                at least 50% of your budget should be in your light. That is what plants "eat" not the "nutrients" and water we feed them.

Originally posted by DoSiGrow View Post

I really hope this grow goes better for you so you can restock your shelves and regain some confidence.
              Thank you, I really hope it goes well too! I'd really like a nice looking plant for once.

Comment

How old is the light/LED, and how many hours/grows on it?
                Time and heat take their toll on lights/LEDs, and they no longer produce the needed amount of the correct spectrum of light for the plants.

Comment

I would highly recommend doing more than just 1 plant. That way if you get issues you’re not going to lose out on an entire crop. Good luck and keep us posted with pics of your progress 👍🏻

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X