Any CBD/THC Home Test Kit Reviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any CBD/THC Home Test Kit Reviews?

This is my first post, after three years growing high CBD strains extracted into coconut oil. My grow knowledge has come from religiously studying GrowWeedEasy - thank you Nebula & Sirius!

Determining actual concentration of CBD in my finished batches always has been a frustrating guessing game. Seed breeders' lab test data of CBD and THC percentages in their specific strains provide a starting point, but still there are so many other variables during growing and processing that can influence final concentration.

Since the cost of scientific laboratory testing is prohibitive for home growers, I've considered trying home test kits for determining levels of CBD/THC. But from reviews I've read, results are often difficult to interpret and accuracy is uncertain. Plus most kits will only conduct a few tests before you need to re-order expensive refills. Frankly, this seems like a great opportunity for rip offs by unscrupulous companies, so understandably I'm very skeptical.

Has anyone had good results using any of these home test kits?

Thanks,

Richard

I think you answered your own question. Home kits are unreliable and the ones that are reliable, are expensive. Likely the reason there aren't a lot out there...
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

What you are looking for is the capability and accuracy of a mass spec with the convenience of a home glucose monitor. A unicorn I have been chasing for years. Please let me know if you find it. If the answer exists for the home user I believe it would be in the form of a solvent extract and uptake chemical reagent with color indicator reaction in a titration process. The reagent formulas have remained a mystery to me so far and I have found very little on the subject. With the modern lab equipment ($$$) now available it is like building a home x ray machine to get an image because you do not have access to the hospital's MRI.

On a more practical note, if you keep good records of what you are making you should be able to reproduce similar results with the same source bud you started with for a subsequent batch.

What are the home test kits you refer to? The answer to the reagent formula might be there and be able to be reverse engineered.
      Last edited by Ckbrew; 10-18-2021, 12:42 PM.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I’ve often wondered about a better way to get some analysis on our bud given lab testing is expensive and there can be a lot of regulatory paperwork involved with getting the testing done depending on where you are located. If you find any promising tests or a service that is less expensive (and available to Canadians) please let us know.

Comment

I think you answered your own question. Home kits are unreliable and the ones that are reliable, are expensive. Likely the reason there aren't a lot out there...

Basically "You get what you pay for". But thought it worth throwing out the question to the GWE community just in case.

On a more practical note, if you keep good records of what you are making you should be able to reproduce similar results with the same source bud you started with for a subsequent batch.

Yes, mostly correct. But the wild card is that last year we experienced an apparent rogue seed. Instead of a 30 to 1 CBD/THC ratio as per the seed breeder's lab specs, the processed oil from this plant also contained a high percentage of THC content, totally unlike our other CBD batches. Needless to say this plant made for an "interesting" oil to ingest, when routinely expecting our normal daily doses of strictly CBD!

What are the home test kits you refer to? The answer to the reagent formula might be there and be able to be reverse engineered.

Google "CBD/THC home test kit", "infusion potency test", or similar words, and you'll get many hits. Impressive advertising blurbs for the products, but conversely many negative user reviews about difficulties in interpreting vague test results, totally erroneous readings, and highly inconsistent repeatability.

Thanks for the responses.

- Richard

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X