A huge newbie charlie foxtrot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A huge newbie charlie foxtrot

It has been close to 2 weeks since I have harvested my plants. I had a total of 5 plants in my grow room closet. 4 were Indica with it's dominate traits, 1 was a Sativa dominate trait.

BTW if you are wondering what Charlie Foxtrot stands for it's cluster f*ck, if you have not guessed it already or already knew what it stood for.

Problems/reasons what could stress female plants out to make them produce seeds or a combination there of these problems that are listed below.

1) pH problems that started by the end of the first week of the flowering stage. I did not recognize these problems until this time had elapsed. The plants were not stretching like it was talked about in most of the tutorals that I had been reading, mostly here at GWE and a couple of other sites. By the time I started flushing the soil it had taken almost 5 days to get the pH back in balance which was for me between 6.5 and 7.0, that's what my plants had liked during the 8 week vegative stage. From that point on the plants would go a few days and grow, then stop growing for a day or 2 then do this alternating growing like this for most of the time in the flowering stage until the end of the 6 week of the flowering stage they finally stopped growing completely.

2) Light burn or low humidity: shortly after this, the above problem I encountered what I believe was light burn, I had raised the LED light 1' more above the plants and even lowered the intensity down to a 7 which was at an (8) 24" above the plants, this was the ES 180 LED model the plants still stayed the same, not getting better or worse. What was strange was that the 4 Indica hybrid plants pistils at the top of the buds/cola's were looking like they had been bleached white, the one Sativa hybrid had their leaves on the edges slightly curling up. At that point I was keeping the humidity level between 40% -50% with the average being in the low 40% range. They never recovered, this was after I raised the lights again another 4" to an over all height of 40" above the plants, but kept the sensitivity level at a 7.

3) Light Systems changes: during the 2 week seedling stage and through out the 8 week vegative stage and the first week of the flowering stage I was using a new LED light system called the aglex 1200w. After that first week of the flowering stage I realized that I could not go much further up I was running out of room to raise the lights. I had to stay 36" above the plants. In addition the lights were putting out a lot of heat even though I had 2 oscillating in the room with a/c ducting. So the next day I prepared to change light systems out, having a green LED light bulb in the grow room I had set up to change it out the next night and did it in about 30 minutes by myself. I had changed to an old T-5 system that I had tried to do a grow 6 years ago, which did not do well BTW. For a couple of days I looked for a replacement LED system and found the ES 180 LED that I could use. After ordering it, it took about 7 days to arrive and I set it up and hung that light to replace the T-5. The T-5 I had used for about 10 days, since the last exchange the ES 180 has been in the grow room since.

Great story now how about a picture to match it
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Flatfish59
      Flatfish59 commented
      Editing a comment
      No pictures taken sorry.

Wow, imo you are overthinking this. Try some just go with the flow and grow it out.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Flatfish59
      Flatfish59 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what my sister keeps telling me, gonna try her way next grow. And thanks

So what was the problem?? seems like they grew fine until the end. 14 weeks from seed they should be humming along...I agree that you should always post a pic too....
    As far as lighting, if the ES180 replaces a traditional 300w HPS even 40 inches above the canopy seems too high at level 7. I suspect it was light damage at 24 inches combined with heat. When the top leaves start to curl and take on a white hue its from hot bright lights.
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• Flatfish59
      Flatfish59 commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not take any pictures, so what intensity level should it have been at, maybe down to a 6 or even lower ? Thanks for your opinion will make notations about that in my notes for follow ups when I finish critiquing the overall grow. Since I did get some seeds from all of this will those seeds carry any hermie traits ?

• dilvish
      dilvish commented
      Editing a comment
      since the grow is done or at least on the tail end a good rule of thumb is to leave the light intensity at it's highest just make it so the light is never more than 24-30 inches away from the top of the canopy. Many manufacturers actually will tell you what the optimum height is recommended for cannabis. Send them an email and they will likely reply

understood dilvish

Comment

Hi Flatfish59,

I had a similar problem that traced back to my over-enthusiastic use of new LED lights. Seeds and some foxtailing resulted.

Here's a tip, check out the Photone light monitor app for iPhone or Android. It will allow you to accurately measure the useable light reaching your plant and adjust accordingly. I have found that a DLI measurement between 30 - 40 avoids light burn while producing dense buds. An LED dimmer as well as light height work together toward that goal.

I reckon your best option was to grow it out and use the lesson to avoid that pitfall in the future. Besides, a handful of free seeds along with your harvest isn't exactly FUBAR.

My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
      I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
      Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• Flatfish59
        Flatfish59 commented
        Editing a comment
        Grouchy, thank you and thanks for that information. I sure will use it once I download it, it will always come in handy. I do have and use the dimmer switch on the ES 180. It was at the intensity level of an 8 @ 24" then ended up being 40" but the plants never recovered, probably because I did not recognize and react fast enough. BTW that's awesome on your goals of quality over quantity. Quality is always best for whatever you do in life itself. I probably will get back to you in the near future.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X