Root Rot?HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root Rot?HELP!!

New to growing so I need help diagnosing a problem. Temps ran a little high for a few days, went to change the reservoir and check the roots and noticed a few brown patches. I use recommend amount of hydro guard for 3 gallons, Flora nutrients at less than 1/2 recommended amount. I have One medium air stone. I taped the tube on the bottle to eliminate light there and placed a plate on top of the pebbles in case light was getting in there. Noticed the leaves, crunchy around the edges. I try to keep the water between 68 and 71 degrees, but as I said things ran high in the tent one day, almost above 100 degrees. Should I increase the amount of hydrogaurd AND use hydrogen peroxide to treat. Anything helps and thank in advance.

Hi BlkPixie, I don't know if that's the beginnings of root rot but to be on the safe side you can change the water. I don't think you can hurt your plants using extra hydroguard but at some point (I'd guess the manufacturer already has us using as much as will be beneficial) more isn't going to help more. On the other hand I have added more for similar reasons. Too, I think I got root rot last grow because hydroguard was out of date and no amount was helpful. With new bottle and cooler water (cheap window AC) the roots are thriving.
    Best of luck to us both.

Comment

Howdy Blkpixie, First of all, do not use ANY clear (or blue) tubing anywhere, it can (and will) carry light into the reservoir by reflection (just the same principal as fiber optic glass cable!). Secondly, I would add another air stone (I use four 2 inch by 4 inch air stones in my six gallon reservoirs). And lastly, do not use hydrogen peroxide with the Hydro Guard, the H2O2 will kill off the beneficial bacteria in the Hydro Guard and render it useless. I , personally, do not use any of the Hydro Guard, only a dose of H2O2 as needed. If all of the light leaks are covered and the water is well aerated and the temperature is kept below 70° F,, the root rot (brown algae) will not be a problem. A big problem tht I had to cure myself of was opening up the reservoirs to 'check on things' too often. I use ice bottles to help keep the water temps in range. I made a small 'port' that allows me to change out the ice bottles without opening up the entire reservoir.
      Good luck with Your grow.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X