No announcement yet.

Soil & Coco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might look into that, I'm going to need about 24 qts for the fabric pots (5 gallon) I'm planning to use, and it says that it makes 60 liters (qts in my case...) from a 5 kg bale, so I don't think I would need to process the entire bale at one time. But then you have the hassle of the mixing, cleaning, so...
    Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
    2 - MF2000 Maxsisun 230w LED lights
    3 - 5 gal fabric containers -
    MotherEarth Coco bale 100% coco
    RapidRooter plugs
    390 CFM exhaust fan
    2 - 6" Fans
    1 - 12" Oscillating fan
    Fox Farm Nutrients - Hydroponic Food, Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom
    Cal-Mag
    Current grow - Gelat.OG x 3

Comment

Well hydrating and mixing is the thing. Might as well do the whole brick, doing 0.5 will just double your work when you do the second 0.5. If you have leftovers it can be stored but should be dried out as much as possible to avoid mold growth. Then again if you do 1 brick and are short 1 pot's worth now you have to start over again.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I agree with CK 1 bag of Mother Earth loose coco is your best bet to begin. Already cleaned and buffered with calmag and it will fill 4 five gallon pots perfectly with the castings added plus a couple gal left over. You're doing a great job of planning things out well before you go out with card in hand. Let's talk a little about your environment. Good choice on tent, plenty of room for expansion. Lights are da bomb..more than you need for 2 plants but again looking forward to future. What about temp and humidity control? Study that part again...it's that important. I'll follow to see how you do, happy to help!
        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
        make pH correction unnecessary
        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Have you thought about how you are going to handle runoff? You will need a tray or rack that allows the pots to drain, then allow removal of the runoff. If you want individual trays I suggest:

I prefer to get a flood table like this:

I put the flood tray on 2 x 3 with one end raised by a second 2x3 so there is a pitch to the whole tray. The thing about the flood tray is it is a bit pricey, but the shipping is absurd. The size excludes it from carriers like UPS etc. so truck freight like $200.00 for shipping. So If you have a local supply store that you can pick it up yourself that makes it more economical. Now if you get the 4x4 tray, it will not fit in a 4x4 tent. You will have to go up to a 5x5 tent. If you want to stick with a 4x4 tent, then get a 3x3 tray.

Some people get creative with things like wire racks and cement mixing tubs form home cheapo. All depends on your budget. I got the flood tray and it saves me loads of time removing the runoff. Local store had it, otherwise I would not have paid so much to buy and ship it.

Comment

• Smoklahoma
            Smoklahoma commented
            Editing a comment
            I love my 4x4 flood trays. Acutualy built the room to fit them in there. No worries about water damage outside the grow space.

CkBrew,

I'm not EXACTLY sure what route I'm going to take, I want to be able to monitor the water runoff for each plant, so I'm going to probably go with individual trays of some sort.
          Being a retired contractor, I'll probably make individual pans out of old 10 gal buckets or something.
          Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
          RapidRooter plugs
          390 CFM exhaust fan
          2 - 6" Fans
          1 - 12" Oscillating fan
          Cal-Mag

Comment

Tokabigone,

As far as temp/humidity, I've got an exhaust fan coming, though I'm not sure if it'll be big enough at 100 CFM, I've been told here that I should actually have about 300 - 400 cfm due to light heat, so I'll probably be getting more fans, I'm just not sure how hot things are going to get with the lights, so...

I've got to do more reading on humidity control, our ambient humidity runs about 60%, so I'm not sure how that will affect the tent, I do have temp/humidity meters coming today.

Fortunately, I'll have a couple of weeks to set everything up before my seeds even get here, (most of the stuff is supposed to arrive today), so hopefully, I should have a handle on some of this stuff.

Thanks
            Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
            RapidRooter plugs
            390 CFM exhaust fan
            2 - 6" Fans
            1 - 12" Oscillating fan
            Cal-Mag

Comment

CKBrew,

I've already got a small dehumidifier, so I should be good there, but you confirmed what I had read earlier, that I need about 400 cfm...so...

Just for general conversation, I've got about $675 in "hardware" (tent, lights, etc.) and I have about $350 in the cart right now for mainly nutrients, (cal-mag, PH up/down, etc.)
            So I'm all in at about $1000, though I'm sure that will change as I learn. Maybe more lights?...

Wish me luck
            Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
            RapidRooter plugs
            390 CFM exhaust fan
            2 - 6" Fans
            1 - 12" Oscillating fan
            Cal-Mag

Comment

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              Good luck. You should be good with the lights u have. There will be little things that will be needed that u will figure out. Plant ties, yellow sticky strips, extension cord, power strip, zip ties. A new adventure. Happy growing.

O.K. People,

So, my wife agreed to finance this little project, which put me in the position of owing her something...

Seriously, can I grow a TOMATO plant in the same grow tent? Don't think I would have to worry about cross pollination ...

Hmmm... THC infused tomatoes...

All kidding aside, anyone see any problems with it?
            Thanks
            Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
            RapidRooter plugs
            390 CFM exhaust fan
            2 - 6" Fans
            1 - 12" Oscillating fan
            Cal-Mag

Comment

CKBrew,

I'm getting the pot trays that you recommended, simpler, I've also got the fan in the cart, so now I need a humidifier, any input?

Thanks
              Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
              RapidRooter plugs
              390 CFM exhaust fan
              2 - 6" Fans
              1 - 12" Oscillating fan
              Cal-Mag

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
                Seriously, can I grow a TOMATO plant in the same grow tent? Don't think I would have to worry about cross pollination ...

Hmmm... THC infused tomatoes...

All kidding aside, anyone see any problems with it?
                Thanks
                Seriously, a watermelon would be better lol. Ur building expensive grow space, you gonna spend it on vegetables?

Comment

CKBrew,

And you've never heard the term "happy wife, happy LIFE!"...
                  Now onto more serious matters, got my lights last night, they are BRIGHT!, (too bad they don't come in 12v, I'd put them on my TRUCK!)

I set them up 24" from the thermometer and after 2 hours, the temp was 100, and the humidity was 31% measured at the floor (I had the thermometer on a small box to prevent the reflective lining of the tent pan affecting the readings)

Mind you, that's with NO ventilation (fans haven't been ordered yet...), so the fan I'm getting (the one you recommended) should be enough to bring the temp down, I'm also getting an 12" oscillating fan to give them the breeze they like. I might get a smaller stationary fan to supplement the 12" fan (?).

I'm going to play around with the humidity, and see if I can get it where it needs to be. I don't plan on even germinating seeds until I can get everything set up, at least in the ballpark, except the seedlings, and then go from there.

Any thoughts?
                  Thanks
                  Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
                  RapidRooter plugs
                  390 CFM exhaust fan
                  2 - 6" Fans
                  1 - 12" Oscillating fan
                  Cal-Mag

Comment

It is good that you are getting everything set up in advance. Your temp and humidity will change and create a new environment when you introduce plants, coco, water and heat so trying to adjust your humidity now is kind of mute. It is a learn by the seat of your pants thing. No matter how good your plans are Mr Murphy will pay you a visit. Don't let it get you down, just learn. Idk what your plant limits are etc. but Imo a good idea to plant some extras to experiment with while at the same time not being to concerned with how they turn out. Experiment with the different grow styles. Happy growing.

Comment

I tried to plan for everything I could think of before the first grow. So many variables and things that you have no control over happen and you just have to adapt the best you can. The things you do have control over take notes and fix between grows. Took me 3 months to change my set up after first grow. Already got a few things I've found that need to change before the third. I'm kinda addicted to trying to create the perfect environment. If you not sure, go bigger.
                      DIY 4x12 Farmacy box w/2 4x4x6 grow areas
                      TrolMaster HydroX runs the whole show
                      Dual tank Co2 injection w/ rain tubing
                      10000 btu thru the wall A/C / 5000 btu heater
                      50 pint dehumidifier/ cool mist humidifier
                      8" intake fan w/ hepa filter / 8" exhaust fan
                      2 Timber Fatty-vs COB 950 watt draw fixtures
                      w/ added 4 2ft T5 Pure UV bulbs on each fix.
                      2 DIY Hybrid DWC 5 gal bubble bucket systems w/ 55 gal reservoirs w/ PH dosers
                      2 2"x2"cyl.stones in each bucket, 8"disk in reservoirs
                      GH Flora series (entire line) + Orca
                      Grow 3 = Blueberry 1 dwc 1 soil.
                      . Cherry pie 1 dwc 1 soil
                      Soil is great lakes "just add water" in 7 gal fabric bags

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X