Floating vs Sinking Seeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floating vs Sinking Seeds?

Hello! I'm starting my second growing round and I started soaking 4 seeds last night. I read that most viable seeds eventually sink to the bottom. It's only been 12 hours but one of the seeds still hasn't sank yet- does this mean it isn't a good seed? Should I wait a little longer to see if it sinks like the others? I know after 24 hours you should take them out to avoid drowning them and germinate them elsewhere, if it hasn't sank by then do I toss it ? Or try to germinate it anyways? Thank you all in advance!!

I give floating seeds a few pokes every few hours, eventually they all sink and the good ones will usually be split open in the first 24 hours. Floating is not an indication of a bad seed, just keep poking it under every now and then and when it takes on enough water it will sink and stay down. I still plant the seeds that don't split in 24 hours, especially if they're important and usually they sprout a couple of days after the others.

Comment

• pokepena
      pokepena commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay awesome, thank you!! This morning I poked them all and 3/4 sank, so that's why I was worried about the last one. One of the other seeds probably sank because it arrived already cracked open with a little dried up taproot sticking out already, so it probably filled with water quickly and most likely isn't viable, but I'm trying it anyways because it's the only one of that strain I ordered and it was the one I was most excited for, boooo.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      #FunkyButtLovin Good to see you back!

I’ve been floating mine until I move to the rooter this one just popped this morning.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X