Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying process advice

Hello all, i need some advice with my drying process from you all veterans

I have been following Nebulas guide: https://www.growweedeasy.com/drying-curing and my drying enviroment is almost optimal with 22,5C and 41% Humidity. The overall smell in the drying room is wet hay but when you get close to a bud it smells sweet lemon just like it should with SLH. The buds are hanging upside down in the growing tent and has been now for 4 days. To the touch the bud is rockhard and very sticky but feels almost overdry and brittle. I have no idea if sticky and moist is the same thing in this process but as i said the buds feel very dry. No stem, not even the thinnest one breaks, it just bends and when i try to pull the smallest bud from the branch it leaves a string running along the stem. My feeling is that its not ready to be jared BUT the overdryness and the feeling of buds being brittle makes me doubt myself.

Can i please get some advice to what i should do

I've never used a tent to dry the buds, I tend to move the buds around to the environment I think they need at the time. I also find that if I take the trays I have the buds on after 4 or so days of hanging on the stem and place them in a sealed up kitchen trash bag overnight you can get the whole deal homogenized and even the moisture throughout.(edit--you can place a little hydro meter in the bag as well to get an idea of where your're at moisture content wise)
    I especially like doing this the night before jarring.
    Last edited by GreenState; 09-25-2021, 07:03 AM.
    "That's your fortress of fucking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you. Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you. Boss pisses you off, fuck you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink"

Comment

baffe , I sent you a PM.
      2X4X6 Quictent
      1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
      600w LED (80)
      1000w LED (180)
      2 X Viparspectra P-1000
      2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
      6" battery/usb fans
      Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
      GH trio with Calimagic
      Lung room humidifier
      3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
      ArmorSi, kelp when needed
      Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
      Northern Lights auto
      (Seedsman)
      auto 00 Kush
      (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
      2x Northern lights auto
      1 auto 00 Kush
      1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
      Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

Agree with above. Much better product if you can dry outside the tent. If you can’t snap a stem I wouldn’t jar them or you’ll be fighting high rh. Just leave them until you can before you jar

Comment

The tent is open and i have no fans on so its just room temp and room humidity involved. Ok i will wait to take them down until i can snap the stem. They just feel so brittle and dry almost overdry but really really sticky so i dont understand whats going on. To ruin this grow in this stage when everything has gone so good would be devastating!

Comment

Sticky is not really a problem, that is the resin on the plant, although brittle buds are not desirable. My suggestion (for next time) is a slightly higher RH so everything dries more slowly and evenly. I’ve never tried using plastic bags for a short period to even things out and guesstimate the humidity it will have when it goes into a jar but it sounds like it could be helpful. I would probably only do it for a limited period of time so you don’t run into problems. I know there are people who use paper bags to slow drying which could be better if you think you will need to do it for longer. It isn’t optimal but even if you jar bud that dried too quickly it will equalize over time in a jar and rehydrate the bud somewhat (make sure to monitor so it doesn’t spike on you - use boveda packs and a small hygrometer). This may not give the best cure but it will still leave you with a usable harvest. I would also leave the ventilation fan turned on to pull air out of the tent and make sure the air is circulating enough. You could also jar a small amount and see how it does.

Comment

I took them down yesterday because they were so brittle on the outside that it almost turned to ash I have jarred them all but not added boveda pack because even if they were as dry as Sahara Desert on the outside they still left a string on the stem when cutting them, i dont understand this at all.... But i want to see if they remoist themself in the jars now otherwise boveda pack is going in.

Comment

• baffe
                baffe commented
                Editing a comment
                Awsome! then there is hope for my weed! Thanks a bunch and i will put Boveda packs in right away.

• DeadlyFruit
                DeadlyFruit commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree with TBO. Also, keep in mind that boveda packs take in moisture if it is too high and let it out if it is too low (within reason of course - there will be a max point) so even if it does spike they would be helpful to have in there. If I think I am off more than a little with humidity I will occasionally put in more than one packet until it stabilizes. Just keep an eye on your hygrometer in the jar and if the RH does spike take action ASAP (leave the jar open for a few hours or if really high spread on a tray for a little bit to further dry).

• baffe
                baffe commented
                Editing a comment
                Great advices and couldnt ask for more! I put in one boveda 62% pack yesterday and they feel slightly less brittle so something has happened already, still dry as hell but less brittle and still so sticky so heres to hoping!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X