Best dosing for Editables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best dosing for Editables

I'm new to this so please bear with my ignorance. I just made a batch of 85 gummies. The weighted size is 2 - 2.2 gm ea. In this recipe I used 5ml of pure hash oil. This would mean that each one has approx 38 mg of thc or four times that of a store bought edible. Please tell me if I'm correct and correct me if I'm wrong. I'm basing this on the assumption that each ml of oil contains 650 mg of thc
    Last edited by rock3822; 09-05-2021, 03:07 PM.

Around here dosing starts at 5 mg. And goes up in increments of 5. I get a nice lift from 7-10 mg. And I rarely do edibles.

Comment

Here the legal max in a serving (dispo purchased edible) is 10mg. Pretty sure that is a common max in many places.

It would be challenging to calculate the strength of your oil with only the number of ml (volume) because thc is generally measured in mg(weight). It is easy with bud because you often know approximately the strength of the strain - if you have 1g of bud that is 20%thc then you have 200mg thc (both weights). You need to know the concentration to calculate how much thc is in 5ml (concentration can vary widely). Did you make it or purchase it? If purchased it should give you a mg/ml on the package or something similar. If you made it is there residual solvent (ethanol), did you add any MCT to keep it fluid etc. All of which would skew the concentration. Assuming 650mg of thc/ml x 5 ml is accurate (3250mg total - it seems high but assuming it is accurate) and assuming you made the gummies with no wastage, if you divide 3250mg thc by 85 gummies you get ~38mg/gummy rather than 3.8mg (the weight you gave above). Given you said your gummies are 4x the strength of dispo gummies I assume your 3.8mg was just a typo (40mg would be a reasonable amount for 4 servings of dispo gummy).

In short, with the info you’ve given you would have to make some assumptions to arrive at an answer. Try one and see what it does to you - that will certainly tell you if your calcs are close 🙂

Comment

• rock3822
        rock3822 commented
        Editing a comment
        DeadlyFruit - Thanks for catching my typo. I did mean 38 mg not 3.8. I made the oil myself using 14 gm high quality (20+% thc) decarbed bud.and there was no alcohol left after rendering down the tincture. So, by using your 220mg per gram my calculations were a little high if I understand you correctly. So would I take 220 mg x 14 gm = 2800mg / 38 = 32.94 ea. Is this correct or have I been sampling too much of my product?

• grouchyoldman
        grouchyoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi rock3822, I bet DeadlyFruit is gonna tell you something like this:

You did an alcohol extraction of 14 grams of 20% THC weed so the total possible yield was 2800 mg (14,000 x 0.20%).

A good QWET extraction yields about 80% of the total available, so 2800 x 0.80% = 2240 mg in your final 5ml of (no alcohol) final oil. You made 85 gummies, so that 2240 ml is divided among them, 2240 / 85 = 26.35 mg in each rubbery little morsel! Two gummies should produce a fairly memorable experience.

I'm new at this too, but I think that's how it goes.

• DeadlyFruit
        DeadlyFruit commented
        Editing a comment
        Grouchy is absolutely correct (I was hoping he would show up to confirm my answer) - my numbers were a perfect world calculation but we are often not able to grow to the strength the seed producer states (the same way you take their number of days required for flowering with a grain of salt), you won’t be able to get the full amount of thc from the plant matter when you extract and you lose some to wastage from things like sticking to utensils/pots/bowls etc. You should still get the majority of it but you will want to build an efficiency factor into your calculation at each step of processing. It’s anybodies guess how strong your weed is without a lab test so I pick a % at the low end of the range a seed producer states, calculate 80% extraction efficiency and possibly another 10% wastage from the gummy making process.

Only way to find out is to neck one and see how you feel. Give it a good couple of hours to feel the full effect tho

Comment

DeadlyFruit has the math right, and your estimate of 650mg/ml for the undiluted hash oil is in the range that I've seen elsewhere.

So, given those assumptions, 38 mg THC per gummie is correct.

Everyone's tolerance is different but for me one gummie would be a seriously laid back all-day high.

Pls report back to us on your "product testing!"
        My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
        I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
        Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X