Anyone use UV Light to Kill plant mold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use UV Light to Kill plant mold?

From what I have read UV light will kill mold on a plant. Just wondered if anyone has tried this? If so, please pass on your experience and what light unit you used etc.... Thanks.

I have read that UVC can kill mold, but it can also kill the plant.

Comment

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only before and after the grow cycle for sanitizing the tent and stuff, not when the plants are actively growing.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• grouchyoldman
        grouchyoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Ckbrew, Thanks for the specific UV light usage details. I have that same light on order and intend to use it for the same purpose.

How many "10 minute cycles" before you consider the process done, your tent sanitized, and turn the light off?

My grow room is 150 sq ft, is one light enough for that much area?

• Ckbrew
        Ckbrew commented
        Editing a comment
        grouchyoldman , I usually run a cycle with the UV light between the LED light and the flood tray, another in the same location with the flood tray lifted off the floor and on the side of the tent, ant a third with the UV above the LED. Cover all components in the tent.

• rasdebol
        rasdebol commented
        Editing a comment
        I found & bought one of these UVC lampps (for only $22 - return, i guess). LOOKS like the ideal sanitizer. One piece self-contained, built in timer 15-30-60 minutes plus a wireless remote. Has a built in delay after turning-on to allow you to leave/close the area. Does the UVC light and emits some ozone also. Think is should clean any small grow area without killing the plants. Guess I'll find out...

Never heard that it would harm the plant. I don't think anyone intends to just leave it on all the time.... in theory the right temperature (65-70)/humidity (50-ish%) should avoid any mold growth. Then again, I haven't a clue what works best...

Comment

Theory and practical application often deviate from each other.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• rasdebol
          rasdebol commented
          Editing a comment
          Keep hoping to find something that will kill any mold on a LIVING plant without killing the plant itself (Chemotherapy for plants?). Obviously best tactic is to not grow any mold to start with but always looking for that "Plan B" just in case... Maybe JUST the ozone without the light for a plant? short exposure to kill the nastiness. See my other post to see what caused the inquiry. White stuff that doesn't look like 'classic" mold..... Thanks for the response/info. I are a Perplexed Newbie...
          Thought it was mold but it really does not have the classic "cotton candy" or spider web look of mold. Looks more solid even a but crystalline. Pulled off with tweezers. Anyone see this before? Mold1.jpgMold2.jpg

UV in the grow room would be UVB not UVC, UVC kills everything.

Comment

Sulfur based treatment for powdery mold has worked for me on an outdoor grow in humid New England. Drenched my pre-flower plants twice, two weeks apart with a sulfur fungicide, and it did the trick. Spray a test area on you plant first.

Using any fungicide on a flowering plant is controversial so consider that and if you decide to go this route be sure to do a thorough 3-bath bud wash at harvest time.

Here's the product I used:

"Safer� Brand Garden Fungicide Concentrate 16oz 2

Our Garden Fungicide 16 oz concentrate makes 4 gallons of spray to eliminate and control a variety of plant diseases."

Last edited by grouchyoldman; 09-04-2021, 08:11 AM. Reason: Added warning for flowering plants.
          My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
          I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
          Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X