Best insecticidal spray for fungus gnats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best insecticidal spray for fungus gnats

What's the best insecticidal spray for fungus gnats I've been told to use Neem Oil. I'm an organic grower and right now I'm just cooking my soil and noticed this morning I have lots of fungus gnats on the top soil. I don't have plants yet, just soil.

One organic option is nofly mycoinsecticide as it utilizes a fungus to combat the pest
    Soil - NFTG, recycled & amended.
    Nutes - NFTG - modified regiment, SLA-100, Photo +, Mammoth
    Veg - 4x4 tent, TSW2000, TSW1000 6”vent
    Flower - 4x4 tent, TS3000W, TSW1000 6”vent
    Dry - 2x4 tent, 6”vent

Comment

I get nematodes plus lots sticky traps. Also covering the soil will help with new bugs getting in.
      640 watt hlg quantum board
      320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
      300 watt mars hydro sp3000
      150 watt hlg quantum board
      100 watt spider farmer led x2
      organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
      Water only i don't check ph
      6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

I use Gnatrol WDG. Pricey but effective. Usually after one watering they are gone. My honey uses it on her tropical plants and turned me on to it.
        5x5 Gorilla tent
        Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
        Infinity T8 exhaust fan
        Technaflora nutes
        Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• Farmbuck
          Farmbuck commented
          Editing a comment
          Well at least you are using Neem oil like I did.

• PLreef
          PLreef commented
          Editing a comment
          What do you mean?

A drench of Bacillus Thuringiensis Israelensis, (BTI), or an orange oil drench will break the life cycle and keep your soil treated for when you plant. Both completely organic and more effective than neem oil.

Comment

• Phlash
          Phlash commented
          Editing a comment
          With the bits do you grind them or leave them whole and mix them into the soil, and if the later would this be a good additive to all soil mixes as a preventative for future outbreaks.

• 3Berries
          3Berries commented
          Editing a comment
          I use the Mosquito Bits almost every watering. I will see maybe one or two around once in a while still. Much better than when I was not using it and was just using the sticky sheets.

Phlash, I'm in process of mixing soil and I found a site that has Neem and Karanja cake meal. It is a systemic soil amendment that keeps all kinds of pests away. Fungus gnats, nematodes, spider mites, leaf chewers. It actually suppresses their appetite so they starve to death. Righteous vengeance I think! Build-A-Soil.com, Look for 50/50 Neem/Karanja granules and use 1/2 cup per 7 gal of soil.

About $20 for 2lbs
        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
        make pH correction unnecessary
        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• Phlash
          Phlash commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I’ll check it out

TOKABIGONE go ahead and check out Neemresource.com you can find Neem and Karanja in both forms oil or cake/meal. Compare prices that’s is where Buildasoil gets theirs from. You can find Neem tooth paste, soap, leafs for tea all kinds of Neem products.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
          TOKABIGONE commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Cali have you used the meal in soil? I kinda found it by accident and what they claim sounds really good for all kinds of critters. At 1/2 cup per 7 gal soil it's gonna take me awhile to use my 2 lbs, lol.

Fungus gnats are easily and organically controlled by using sticky yellow "flypaper" available on Amazon for about $12.00 works great. I stick about a half a piece of this on a stick in my tent and it captures almost all of the gnats with no sprays or chemicals. The gnats are attracted to the yellow color. Also the gnats appear if your soil is too damp on the surface. Water completely but less often and that will prevent a reoccurrence.
        Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
        5 gallon cloth pots
        30"x30"x60" tent
        Spider Farmer SE3000
        Coco Pearlite mix
        GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

TOKABIGONE yes it’s part of my soil mix. It’s the original mix from Buildasoil also known as Clackamas Coot soil mix. I believe in my post of 2019 when I first switched to living soils I posted the recipe. It’s basically just compost preferably worm castings sphagnum peat moss and pumice for aeration that makes your base to that just add 1 cup per cubic feet or 7 gallons of neem/Karanja kelp meal and crustacean meal, for minerals gypsum oyster shell flour and I forgot the last ingredient but it’s that basic. Really works well

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
            TOKABIGONE commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Cali, one ingredient you missed was guano or one of them, lol So your soil is pretty much like mine in the important parts. I'm using Coco Loco which has already been mixed with most of the above. It's just coco instead of peat, neither of which provide any nutrition, and perlite not pumice. I added volcanic basalt dust for the minerals as well as 5 more lbs of castings and Loco is light on perlite so I added more. Very similar to Coot soil and I've been finding more people leaning this way as it is a very premium soil mix IMHO! Here's to a happy harvest!

• UndergroundFarmer
            UndergroundFarmer commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got leftover Neem Seed Meal from mixing a batch of Coot's Mix for coco. Would that work? I hate the little freeloaders.

Diatomaceous earth (Foodgrade) also is a great organic pesticide . I use it on my vegetable garden and fruit trees. I put it on the soil around my cannabis plants as well

Comment

Thank You all very much for you suggestions. But I went to a store that sells everything to grow weed and he highly recommended SNS209 All Natural Systemic Pest Control. 1/2 Tbsp per gallon of water for each of my 5 gallon fabric pots. I also used the Yellow Sticky paper which caught pretty much all the adults flying around so now I just need to kill the larvae down in the soil.

Comment

I ended up using Diatomaceous Earth to get them under control.

Comment

UndergroundFarmer yes Neem seed meal will work. If I see an issue I blend it to a powder and just sprinkle on top of my soil. Or I bubble over night or just stir it in water then do a soil drench. I have an exact recipe I will look for it and post it. Oh best thing about Neem it kills all the bad guys but leaves the good guys alone. My rive beetles love it which reminds me instead of spraying you can just add beneficial insects I will post some pics of mine as well. Later.

Comment

Originally posted by OldManGrower View Post
                  … the gnats appear if your soil is too damp on the surface. Water completely but less often and that will prevent a reoccurrence.
                  Deleted by user
                  Last edited by MH47; 01-07-2022, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X