Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does slow germinating of seed indicates weak plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does slow germinating of seed indicates weak plant?

Hey growers!

I am slowly spending the seeds I got about 3 years ago (seeds are kept @ +5°C, dry, dark place), and last one I germinated took 5 days to come out, as opposed to 1-2 days when I had them fresh-ish. (I grow one plant at the time, so nothing to compare to and no backup)

Is slow germinating is a giveaway, that the plant will be weak and tiny, or have anyone had a slow seed that grows nicely afterwards?

I am in a dilemma, do I discard this seedling and try a different one or I work with this one and have a potentially bad harvest?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ziemelblazma; 08-27-2021, 06:26 AM.

seeds and plants go on their own time frame, some seeds may take longer than others and in no way reflects whether it is a good or bad plant.

Comment

• Ziemelblazma
      Ziemelblazma commented
      Editing a comment
      Even if it is the same strain, one seed germinates 2 days, one 5 days - both plats may grow healthy/same size?

About a year ago I planted 2 different strain seeds (NL and AK47) in one large pot, so they were treated even. NL sprouted 2 days later and at the harvest I got only half of what I got from AK47. (And way less then I got from fast sprouting NL seed)

Because they were different strains I kind of did not want to compare the yields, but now I don't want to end up with another 20g harvest after several months of work.

Anyway, Thank You for response!

Ace1973 has got it right. Patience grasshopper.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I have planted seed that came up the next year, and they produced well. Some of it has to do with the moisture inside each seed, some has to do with genetics, and some Mother Nature just wants her way.
      One cannot compare a grow with 2 different strains/hybrids, autos can be only 18" while others reach 48+", some are 60 days (or less) and others take 130+ days. I see large genetic ifferences even with photos, and sometimes even clones from the same plant.

Comment

• Ziemelblazma
        Ziemelblazma commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree on strain comparison, but if it is one strain? What I am looking for is correlation between weak plants and long germinating time. I do not have enough experience an data to see this, so I asked here, knowing some people here have germinated thousands of seeds while I have only 6 or 7.

Sadly, the slow sprout have died, but that is 100% my fault, so I won't get any useful info on this with my own experience.

Thank You.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X