LED light degradation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED light degradation

I'm interested in starting a conversation about LED light loss/degradation generally, and Quantum boards specifically. I have seen this mentioned in some tech talk but need to know more.
    How much effectivenes do the lights lose and how fast?
    Is it the drivers, the diodes or a combination?
    Use a popular consumer light (Ex.) Spider#SF1000? or the Mars Hydro one.
    How Long will these lights remain cost effective and need replacement?
    Is it a factor to consider cat all?

Have not had mine long enough to say. I use a Viparspectra P2500 and i've used the same brand but different LED for over 3yrs the old 450r which i can say i've run approx. 8months out of 12 consistantly finally lost driver after 3yrs. I still have 2 more of those plus the new P2500 so i think i've had decent runs on these. Enviornment ability to cool area helps keep them going and i vacumme them when not in use before turning them on again.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I've read that as much as 5% loss of effectiveness every year..(don't know how many hours they mean)

Comment

Been using a 640 watt hlg quantum board for over 3 years and still growing good weed. This pic is a crop from a month ago.
        Attached Files
        640 watt hlg quantum board
        320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
        300 watt mars hydro sp3000
        150 watt hlg quantum board
        100 watt spider farmer led x2
        organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
        Water only i don't check ph
        6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

• Cloud
          Cloud commented
          Editing a comment
          Wrong picture but those leds have been going nearly as long. Different brand and design.

The pic I meant to post.
        Attached Files
        640 watt hlg quantum board
        320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
        300 watt mars hydro sp3000
        150 watt hlg quantum board
        100 watt spider farmer led x2
        organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
        Water only i don't check ph
        6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

ATREUM is a new US company or at least the Hydra1000 is new.
          I put an ATREUM Hyda 1000 up next to another brand “1000” with the same driver. The Hydra side of the grow space gave better results in only 3-4 weeks with the same strain, soil, and #of days. I went directly to Ateum to order (same price $149). They are very helpful and will let you know how long the effectiveness lasts with the diodes and the drivers.
          Hope this helps from my limited experience with LED Quantum panels.
          New indoors grower.
          super soil, Pmoss, perlite mix
          2-100w dimmable quantum led panels
          2’x3’ grow space lined with auto windshield reflectors.
          4” carbon filter + other exhaust fans + one 6” fan on the plants.
          Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

HighRicky, I also learned that some of the LED makers are giving $ deals on products with less effective older tech type diodes, that are nearly indistinguishable from there newer tech diode types.
            LED tech is developing so fast that perhaps we will all be going to something else next week! Who knows?
            New indoors grower.
            super soil, Pmoss, perlite mix
            2-100w dimmable quantum led panels
            2’x3’ grow space lined with auto windshield reflectors.
            4” carbon filter + other exhaust fans + one 6” fan on the plants.
            Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

That is the problem with tech. It is planed to be obsolete before it is released. Who knows what next year will bring.
              Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I have only used COB type LED lights. I have a 300 watt that I have used for 5 grows and it is still going strong. I had two small 50 watt COB lights that I used as supplements. Both died within a week of each other after 1.5 grows. The fan died on one and the chip on the other. I replaced them with a 200 watt COB unit so now I have light overkill (my tent is less than one square meter). They penetrate really well through the leaves but run hotter. As for degradation, this current grow is my best ever in terms of yield. I will have to wait about three weeks before I opine on quality, but they look and smell really good. As for the tech, manufacturers are dependent on stoking the "newer, better, bigger" to drive sales just as seed breeders do with seeds. Unless there is some really fabulous design breakthrough, you are will almost always get more bang for your buck with previous generation tech.
                Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                5 gallon cloth pots
                30"x30"x60" tent
                Spider Farmer SE3000
                Coco Pearlite mix
                GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X