HELP! I've lost my ability to grow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DW2 View Post
    Howdy madams9, I'm about to start my eleventh grow in DWC (Bubbleponic style) and ,without all of the needed information of Your setup, the only thing that I can see from the photos is that the hydro-tron and rooter plug look to be very dry. Do You have a drip or irrigation line (at the bottom of the plugs) to bring the nutrient solution to the plant and encourage the roots to grow down into the reservoir?
    No, heretofore, the roots have always managed to grow to the water with no discernible problem.

And here's another thing: I've got two seeds under water in shot glasses right now. One just barely popped a root and appears to have stopped after more than a week under water. The other is almost a week old and appears to be be coming apart - no tap root, but the shell coat looks like it's coming off, possibly because it just got waterlogged and gave up.

It appears that I'm not even able to get seed to even SPROUT!

Thank you for the attention and good luck with your grow. I'm glad somebody is able to do it.
    Third grow - Northern Lights and Red Cheese (Southern Oregon Seeds) , ​​​​DWC hydro

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      How long do You 'drown' your seeds before putting them into the plugs? I put a folded paper towel in a tray and just enough pH'ed water (to 5.0) to almost cover the paper towel, then I place the seeds in, just in contact with but not submerged in the water, and this method has worked well for me. Of course, not all of the seeds germinate all of the time, so I always start a few extras. I do not think that the germination method that You are using is the problem, I would suspect bad seeds from the supplier.

Originally posted by beav406 View Post
    In my hydro I start nutes from day one. First filling of my DWC is 1/2 strength seedling nutes. Works for me.
    Define "1/2 strength" and which nutes?
    Third grow - Northern Lights and Red Cheese (Southern Oregon Seeds) , ​​​​DWC hydro

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	no_roots.jpg Views:	0 Size:	399.8 KB ID:	531696

This is a picture of the SO BlueBerry from 6/27/21. It's the bigger ("live") plant seen above. The thing you see sticking out the bottom of the net cup is the end of the bamboo skewer I was leaning the plant up against as it threatened to simply fall down and die. I think you can see that there are no roots visible.

Water temp is in the 50's.

PH is 6.10.

How am I killing these things?!
      Last edited by madams9; 08-18-2021, 06:35 PM.

Comment

It looks like there is a white residue on the inside of the blue bucket just above the water line. Is it residue from something or scratches from scrubbing it? I also have been known to brew some beer. One problem home brewers encounter with fermenting in plastic buckets is that when the plastic gets scratched, bacteria get deep into the scratches and it is impossible to get it out once it has set in. It looks clean and has been sanitized, but every time you start a new batch of beer, it gets contaminated from "who knows where". In brewing, bacteria = bad beer. Only cure is to change out the bucket or switch to more durable material like glass or metal. You may be having a similar contamination problem that will not come out due to microbes deep in the scratches. Just a thought that might help. Change out your buckets n lids?
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

It's easy to get frustrated when everything you try doesn't work, I've mastered that part for sure. Hang in there! I top feed mine with a shot glass from the time the germinated seeds go into the plugs or cubes. Until I see a couple roots poke out the bottom of the net pot. I only use ph'd well water to top feed, the seedling has enough goodies in it for a couple weeks. I always keep my ph between 5.5 and 6 . I plant germinated seed in starter, 7 days later I plant starter in 6 inch net pot low enough to cover with hydroton, 3 or 4 days later mix up nutes for the system. Everything is sterilized with H2o2 before doing anything. 5ml 34% h2o2 per gal of water, rinse. My rapid rooters seemed to want 1/2 shot water twice a day, they dried out quick until put in pot. Then they seemed to stay too wet. I'll probably stick with the rockwool cubes. Can you use just some bag seeds until you get it figured out?
          DIY 4x12 Farmacy box w/2 4x4x6 grow areas
          TrolMaster HydroX runs the whole show
          Dual tank Co2 injection w/ rain tubing
          10000 btu thru the wall A/C / 5000 btu heater
          50 pint dehumidifier/ cool mist humidifier
          8" intake fan w/ hepa filter / 8" exhaust fan
          2 Timber Fatty-vs COB 950 watt draw fixtures
          w/ added 4 2ft T5 Pure UV bulbs on each fix.
          2 DIY Hybrid DWC 5 gal bubble bucket systems w/ 55 gal reservoirs w/ PH dosers
          2 2"x2"cyl.stones in each bucket, 8"disk in reservoirs
          GH Flora series (entire line) + Orca
          Grow 3 = Blueberry 1 dwc 1 soil.
          . Cherry pie 1 dwc 1 soil
          Soil is great lakes "just add water" in 7 gal fabric bags

Comment

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            Harkle starkle little twink,
            Who the heck you are I think,
            I'm stoned as not most thinkle peep,
            Besides I'v got all smoked out to get Sunday'ed up in

• Catfish22
            Catfish22 commented
            Editing a comment
            2 of what he's smoking!🙂✌

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            Highly concentrated tincture and RP-1

Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
          It looks like there is a white residue on the inside of the blue bucket just above the water line. Is it residue from something or scratches from scrubbing it? I also have been known to brew some beer. One problem home brewers encounter with fermenting in plastic buckets is that when the plastic gets scratched, bacteria get deep into the scratches and it is impossible to get it out once it has set in. It looks clean and has been sanitized, but every time you start a new batch of beer, it gets contaminated from "who knows where". In brewing, bacteria = bad beer. Only cure is to change out the bucket or switch to more durable material like glass or metal. You may be having a similar contamination problem that will not come out due to microbes deep in the scratches. Just a thought that might help. Change out your buckets n lids?
          That's mineral deposits. The water here is wicked hard. And I'm sure there are scratches. I'll have to consider replacing the buckets. They aren't that expensive and I've replaced plenty of other stuff.

Thanks for the info and the attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoklahoma View Post
            It's easy to get frustrated when everything you try doesn't work, I've mastered that part for sure. Hang in there!
            I appreciate the encouragement. Thank you.

I top feed mine with a shot glass from the time the germinated seeds go into the plugs or cubes. Until I see a couple roots poke out the bottom of the net pot. I only use ph'd well water to top feed, the seedling has enough goodies in it for a couple weeks. I always keep my ph between 5.5 and 6 . I plant germinated seed in starter, 7 days later I plant starter in 6 inch net pot low enough to cover with hydroton, 3 or 4 days later mix up nutes for the system. Everything is sterilized with H2o2 before doing anything. 5ml 34% h2o2 per gal of water, rinse. My rapid rooters seemed to want 1/2 shot water twice a day, they dried out quick until put in pot. Then they seemed to stay too wet. I'll probably stick with the rockwool cubes.
            I germinate in the rooter plug in a paper cup covered with cling wrap secured with a rubber band. It's been very reliable. Assuming I can get the thing above ground, I've never really had trouble with the germination. I've also resorted to covering seedlings with a clear plastic soda bottle with the bottom cut off of it. I just kind of work that down into the Hydroton over the rooter plug with the seedling in it.

Can you use just some bag seeds until you get it figured out?
            I have bag seed. I was holding off on that, but it could be helpful as a stand in for plants I trust.

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by madams9 View Post

The water here is wicked hard. And I'm sure there are scratches.
              "Wicked hard water"- I went back through post and did not see a mention of measuring TDS or EC. Have you checked that both before and after mixing nutes?
              Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

If you've got bagseed and are willing to try it, start a few in a coco/perlite mix and feed with your hydro nutes at half the manufacturer's recommended strength. If they do well, it could mean that you need a RO filter to get your hydro program back on track.

I started dabbling in coco to keep a few mother plants from growing too fast in my hydro setup. Having that experience kept me from losing ten plants in two tents when my water supply went funny this year. Hydro is awesome for quick vegetative growth and for complete control of the environment at the root level and that's all it has over coco or soil.
                Coconut Grove
                4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
                4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
                32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
                Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X