First time growing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time growing

I've recently purchased a Dwc system and am going to try hydroponics. I'm just wondering what's the best method for starting the seeds? I'm using Rockwool but I'm confused on how long before I should pit them in the system? Also should the water be an inch from the net pot or just touching? I've heard both. I've just recently had 4 seedlings die on me and I'm trying to avoid that from happening again.

Well i don't do DWC lots of folks here do so hang in there someone will help with that question. I don't use rockwool either ( some help i am ) i just use soil cup. I wet seeds in damp paper towel place it in a baggie seal it up. Then stick the tail root into a cup of soil. I have seen rockwool but also stem rot using it from folks. You want moist but not soaked does that make sense?
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I usually start seeds for hydro in rooter plugs under a humidity dome in a starter tray and wait to transplant until the taproot extends a few inches below the plug. Have the DWC ready, drop the seedling into a net pot, making sure the root drops through the bottom and fill the pot with hydroton. If you have a good strong airstone below the net pot, all should be good. The bubbles will keep the bottom of the net pot and rooter plug or rockwool plug wet enough. You can also set it up so that the water tubing (if it's a recirculating system) is teed off to the net pot to keep the hydroton wet until the seedling's roots are grown well into the nute solution. It's best to keep a gap between the bottom of the net pots and the surface of the nute solution. That's where the roots will take in the majority of their oxygen.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Howdy MoreChronic93, I have been using DWC for the last ten grows (about to start #11) and I start the seeds on wet paper towels covered in an aluminum pan (disposable loaf pan type). The towel method allows One to see which seeds are viable and actually sprout before placing them into the rockwool cubes. I use water pH'ed to 5.0, fold a towel, add just enough water to soak the towel completely, then the seeds are placed on the towel, in contact with the water, but not submerged in it. Then cover the pan with plastic wrap (to keep the humidity up) and aluminum foil (to keep out the light). Keep the pan(s) in a warm location and when the roots are out, carefully place them in pre soaked cubes and then into the planters.
        The best advice that I can give You is;
        A. Keep the water well aerated. I use four 4" X 2" air stones in a six gallon reservoir.
        B. Keep the water temperature between 62° F and 70° F. I use ice bottles, changed out as needed.
        C. Block out ALL possible light leaks into the reservoir / planter. Do not use clear tubing for the air lines or drip and water lines. I even cover the tops of the net pots and hydroton pebbles with aluminum foil.
        D. completely change out the nutrient water every week and top off at mid week with water pH ed to 6.0.
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X