Germination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germination

I started my germination with a paper towel method between paper plates and check them yesterday evening about 12 hours after you know I didn’t think to check paper towel I just checked the temperature when I woke up this morning and checked them the paper towels were dry, so I went into panic mode remoistened them and put them in Ziploc bags do you think they’ll be OK since it was just the first day?
    Last edited by LissaLou; 07-30-2021, 10:12 AM.

Near 100% germination rate, drop your seeds in a shot glass of water and leave them for 24hrs….meanwhile, presoak whatever your seed will go into (I prefer 8oz styrofoam cups 1st 2wks) then set it on top of a heating pad. Next day, 24hrs after dropping the seed in water, stick a hole in the medium about 1/2” deep, lightly cover, spray the top of soil to get it moist, put a baggie overtop and leave it sitting on the heat mat. If soil looks dry on top, lightly spray. In 2-3 days you’ll have a sprout.

Paper towel method is bullshit. Highly ineffective and even if the seed sprouts it’s generally stuck to the paper towel.

You’ll likely get a lot of different responses. The method I advised is nearly 100% effective. Just remember, your soil needs to be damp, not wet

To answer your question, if the seeds haven’t sprouted yet. Drop them in water and use the paper towels for what they’re made for, cleaning up

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem! Hopefully they’re still good, I believe they’ll be fine. Little note, you just need to drop them in enough water to get them wet. I just have enough so they’re covered so that way when your pour them into the hole it’s just enough water the seed pours out but it doesn’t soak the medium

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting way to go about it. I have done something similar but not exactly like your recipe and have been disappointed in both my germination and survival rate But, I have been just as frustrated with most of the other techniques I have tried. I have 2 questions. It's rather hot and humid here in the SE. Would you still use a baggie to top the cups? Would you still use a heating pad on the soil? I either start my seeds on a window sill or in the tent under a 50w. light. Right now it is 85 degrees and 60% humidity in the tent with the lights off. I appreciate the specificity of your formula.

• bboyfromwayback
      Editing a comment
      I’m also in the muggy SE. I’m a creature of habit once I find something that works so I do it exactly the same year round. Only real difference is in the winter my basement gets super dry so I leave the baggie on a couple days after sprouting to keep things humid but in the summer there’s no need just like you said. This time of the year I remove the bag soon as it fully sprouts. I mostly use it to hold all the heat and humidity in to keep the soil moist and warm. They love a heat pad. I leave all my sprouts on it 1st 2wks until I transplant into a pot

To answer your question, no problems. Good job with the ziploc, you won't have to moisten near as often. Just don't leave in the ziploc for an extended period once the taproot emerges. There is a real risk of damping off. Like bboyfromwayback, I prefer a different method than the paper towels.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by quirk; 07-30-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• LissaLou
      LissaLou commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate your advice😊

• bboyfromwayback
      Editing a comment
      Looks very similar to my germination setup

• LissaLou
      LissaLou commented
      Editing a comment
      Just checked,and two (fortune cookie, amnesia lemon)have tiny taproots, one to go😁
      (Tangerine)

Thanks for your input!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X