Woodworking techniques applied to LST Low Stress Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woodworking techniques applied to LST Low Stress Training

I have been applying a woodworking technique known as Kerfing (google search) when LST (low stress training) my plants. After softening the stem, while bending I use the end of my thumbnail to make 3-5 measurable intentions into the underside of the bend. This not only gives the stem an easier chance of laying down, but also assists a bunch in getting it to lay in the direction that I want. Treat it like you would a broken stem but with no need of a band-aid. I find it cumbersome trying to tie down these weak stems (usually at the top of the plant) so normally I will revisit the bend 3-4 hours later and give it a little assist if needed, but as I general rule it works well.
    Attached Files

So?? Super cropping is what you do and show in this thread and picture ? Or am is missing something ?
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• PaulZ
      PaulZ commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, lets call it super cropping. Try the technique young dog. You might learn something from your elders.

• CaptainWiese91
      CaptainWiese91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Young dog 🤣🤣.
      Sounds and looks like super cropping ?? So why not call it that ?
      And I need to learn from my elders? Come on dude 🤣🤌🏻 Don’t be offended by a honest question I made or an honest statement at least..🤣.

I watched my uncle use this technique to make a 16ft board wrap around a tree in a circle to make a bench. One of the coolest things I’ve seen done with wood. Took him all damn day, no clue how many cuts he put into that board to get it to do that but it had to be thousands. With that being said, I gently squeeze a stem, then roll it around a little in my fingers until I feel the insides soften up then I try to bend it and if it doesn’t bend I repeat until it does.

Comment

I dont know about woodworking but what you are doing is called supercropping . https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-...crop-marijuana

Comment

I use this technique in woodworking often when making curved/bullnose stairs.
        5x5 Gorilla tent
        Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
        Infinity T8 exhaust fan
        Technaflora nutes
        Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I employ a medical technique known as Hemostating.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
            TOKABIGONE commented
            Editing a comment
            I do like this idea quirk. Should have good control over the squeezing I would think.

• MagicMike66
            MagicMike66 commented
            Editing a comment
            Careful using pipe cleaners. If you forget about one and the stems thicken up the metal wire inside can start to cut the stems off

We kerf differently...lol bow front stair I was working on. And the last pic is a bull nose riser that was kerfed and glued to a former to hold it shape. Not sure if ima try this technique on my plants. But I love the woodworking theme of it.
          5x5 Gorilla tent
          Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
          Infinity T8 exhaust fan
          Technaflora nutes
          Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
            TOKABIGONE commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful work there PLreef! I've used kerfing on a couple wood projects and find it amazing what you can make a piece of wood do!

• bboyfromwayback
            bboyfromwayback commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks awesome! Meticulous work right there, paid off👍🏻

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X