Advantages of placing your tent on a table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advantages of placing your tent on a table

I was on my 3rd or 4th grow when I realized how senseless it was to be bending over so often while tending my plants (I am retired and spend most of my days tending my three grow areas), but it wasn't until I realized that the very best way to remove my watering overflow was through siphoning that I broke down and spend the money for a table (I cut the legs of small card tables down to 20"). I have been patting myself on the back every time I sit down on my chair and look straight ahead at my plants, to say nothing of the ease to drain all excess runoff without batteries.
    p.s. I currently have 5 different harvests bagged (variety is the spice of life) and 5 other strains in various states of flowering, and I owe MUCH (if not all) to GWE and Nebula !! THANK YOU !

I agree having the plant raised while doing daily training tie adjustments or trimming does make it less stressful on the knees,neck and lower back.

Comment

I did something similar for the same reasons. I built a platform that lifted my tent 12" off the floor. The good news is that it made all of my agricultural efforts much easier and less stressful. The bad news is that I grow in a garage in the Southeast. When the tent was on the floor, the concrete acted as a heat sink to keep the tent cool. On the platform, the average temperature inside the tent has gone up 3 degrees. Let no good deed go unpunished.
      Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
      5 gallon cloth pots
      30"x30"x60" tent
      Spider Farmer SE3000
      Coco Pearlite mix
      GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I forgot to mention that the storage space below the tent comes in very handy.

Comment

OK so if I put the tent on a platform to raise it is the distance from lite to canopy greater ?

Just kidding, snort snort snicker
          Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
          Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
          Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
          Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
          Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
          i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
          My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
          make pH correction unnecessary
          Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
          8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
          Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
          Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            I had to read that twice. Good one.

• PaulZ
            PaulZ commented
            Editing a comment
            Depends on what you been token

Yep I put a small type platform in the tent while they veg and its def easier on the back.When tall I take out the table. Lot frigging easier on the back.
          1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
          1 sf2000 @200 watts
          2 philzon @230 watts
          2x4x5 tent
          3x6x8 closet
          Fox Farm ocean forest
          Black gold for seedling
          3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
          RH 40-60
          Temp 70-80
          Feeding with FF trio with molasses
          calmag and a little flower fuel
          Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

As a middle aged septuagenarian, not only is the bending and lifting a pain in the back, but my 4x4x6 Gorilla Tent was a trip and fall, broken hip waiting to happen. I purchase a 28" to 40" height adjustable, Husky work table. I lost the tent and now no more bending, lifting and I don't have to bother with raising and lowering lights.
            I think it's called working smart.
            Organic soil auto grower.

Comment

Great idea,just a shame i only have 5ft6 from floor to ceiling.
              Grow tent=120x60x150 for veg,300x150x160 for flowering
              Current grow=4x dwarf autos,
              Medium=coco/perlite 60/40
              Nutrients=canna a+b plus calmag
              Lighting=2x110w QBs for veg,2x600w hps/digital+dimmable for flowering
              Ventilation=Small tent 2x4" ac infinity fans and 2x rhino carbon filters Large tent 8"ac infinity fan+filter.
              Circulation=2x6"oscilating fans in smaller tent, 2x8" oscilating fans and 12" static in large tent
              Pots=12l fabric
              Temps with light on 23-24c,lights of 17-18c

Comment

Looks like there are some people here with back issues and bending over. I guess it happens to us all, it is starting with me. I haven't had to raise the plants, but I made something simple that helps. I hand water the plants. I got a 36 inch long piece of 1.5 inch pvc drain pipe and added a 45 street connector, then a 1.5 to 3 inch adapter. I can stand up, place the end of the pipe in the pot, then pour the solution into the adapter acting as a funnel. No more bending over for watering. I got the adapter and fitting at Lowes. The price of the adapter was $4.20 so I took this as a sign.
                Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• OldManGrower
                  OldManGrower commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love creative, thoughtful homemade solutions. This is a good one.

I keep my pots on the concrete floor to take advantage of the cooling effect, but I had the same sore back problems bending over them.

As a solution, I got a mechanics stool on casters that allows me to sit comfortably at eye level with the plants. Underneath the stool is a handy shelf so I can roll around the grow room and have my pruning shears, tiedowns and other tools always close at hand. No good for a grow tent prolly, but perfecto if you have enough room to scoot around.

My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
                I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
                Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

The reason for me building risers for my grows to set on is due to who ever poured the concrete did not level out the dirt before pouring. In some parts the unlevel floor in my basement can drop an estimated 6" over a 6' span. The room I built for flowering is has floor that is the closest to being level it dropped about 2 1/2" over a 6' span. I did notice yesterday while taking clones and cleaning out the less viable growth from my White Widow tote it has reached point where trimming I need to stand so in next few days I'll need to mount scrog net and move to my room and start the flowering phase. The stool I bought I liked so much I now own 3 one each by veg area and in flowering room and my kid got me 1 for the garage for Christmas last year. It has an adjustable seat height that I've found helpful as the plants grow taller and 5 casters which keeps it from being tipsy when rolling on the uneven floor, the seat also swivels which is nice for turning from side to side when doing a harvest.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X