Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grow 4 .. First Auto Grow

Hello everyone.

I started my first Auto grow on the 19/07 by starting 11 seeds using the paper towel method, 3 x Skywalker Kush 4 x Chimp Glue from Synergy Automatic Genetics, and 4 x Gelato #41( inhouse genetics) from the Australian seedbank I ordered all my seeds from for grow 3/4. As you might know, if you have seen the post, I was a little impatient when only 3 seeds had germinated within 48hrs lol. I now have 4 x G#41 2 x Chimp Glue broken ground and 2 x Skywalker Kush just breaking ground. All seeds were put into Eazy Plugs using pH'd water once they popped, and the other 3 seeds that hadn't popped were put into plugs to germinate as well on the 24/07. When seeds were put into plugs they were moved to a small tent under a T5 light.
    25/07 Transplanted 5 x seedlings( 3 x G#41 2 x CG) into final pots(3gallon fabric), watered seedlings in with pH'd water. Pots have been put into a 4x4 tent under a 400w HPS light at 30" from pot rim for the moment.

The setup I will be using is a 4x4x6.5 Budbox Pro white tent, ISO-MAX 150mm exhaust fan with Can-Lite GT 600s filter and insulated/uninsulated ducting, plus 2 x oscillating fans. I will be using one of the 600w HID dimmable digital ballasts and white batwing reflectors from my first grow. The globes I have are a Phillips 400w SON-T AGRO(currently using) for the first 3-4 weeks of veg, and a Crown Lighting 600w HPS for the rest of the grow. I will be using a flood tray for the pots to go in, more on that shortly.

I have a couple of questions about my setup if any of you good people have the time to offer some advice/help.

Q.1 is a lighting question. From the research I have done I have decided (not really decided haha) to start with a 400w globe, seems like the going thing to do. Do you think the SON-T AGRO 400w HPS, which is suppose to have a 30% increase in the blue content of the spectrum (added xenon) which ensures more leafy, vegetative growth is achieved, will efficient for the first 3 to weeks of vegetation? Or would this globe in either 400w or 620w be better? Pro Grow 6K SE Metal Halide Cool White Globe,620W, 6K, SE, MH Cool White Lamp - Just Hydroponics - Pro Grow Lamps which is suppose to be great for seedlings and right up to week 3 of veg. After researching I am thinking that the MH will be great for the first 3 to 4 weeks of the grow, but would like the opinion from you good people before I spend more money. Also would the 600w MH 6K be more efficient than the 400w MH 6K in the 4x4 tent?

Q.2 is about my setup. I asked a friend to grab some things for me from the hydro shop. One of the things was just trays and pot raisers to put under the fabric pots, so they weren't sitting in any run off at any time. He came back with a flood tray to fit the whole bottom of the tent, Which ended up being cheaper than getting the trays and raisers, bonus. The flood tray has a slight lean in it so the run off goes to one side. It also has built in raisers and channels for the pots, so plants wont be sitting in any run off. I also have the tray sitting on pieces of framing wood underneath to keep the tray off the cold floor, its winter here.
    My problem is trying to place the lower oscillating fan properly because of the sides of the flood tray, refer to pics. Would one fan above the pots be sufficient for the moment if there is air circulation still happening between pots? Should I use both fans above pots, one higher than the other? Or maybe cut the side down on the tray some so I can lower fan more towards the floor?

Thank you everyone for your time, and look forward to any advice I can get on the two questions, well really multiple questions lol. First 4x4 tent. Cheers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by newbutoldgrower75; 07-25-2021, 10:14 AM.
    3rd indoor grow in 15 years.

2 x Wedding Cake(New420guy)
    2 x Grandoggy Jones(Connoisseur Genetics)
    6ft x 6ft BudBox Pro White
    4 x 37litre(10 Gallon) Bucket Company pots
    Professor's Nutrients 70% Coco 30% Perlite
    3 x ES 300's (2 x V2, 1 x V3)
    Professor's Nutrients feeding program(slightly modified)
    ISO-Max 200 exhaust fan with filter

It's 12:17 here in Oregon i'm hungry so i'll make it quick LOL gonna take on #2 question. Love the setup, i would not let it blow on the little sprouts unless it's real easy breeze otherwise to me the placements will work fine. I'd keep that lower one right about where it is for mature plants. And that flood floor i've wondered about those? Unless you really flood the pots which you don't need to I think it will do fine. A little run off won't hurt being suckup/wick through cloth pot will be ok my one concern would be airflow under pot. But you'll just have to see. Then you may want to put 2x2 sticks under pots. I like the set up but don't know nothin much about those lights.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      newbutoldgrower75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you once again for your help, I'm posting improvements that I have made to the tent in the last couple of days .. thanks to yours and UndergroundFarmer advice. It would be great to get your opinion on it, have used your 2x2 idea🙂. Cheers

An "elevator" (as they call them in the grow shops here) under each pot will help keep them from reabsorbing waste water. They resemble round plastic trivets. I'd keep that lower fan turned off or directed along the tent wall until your plants are big enough to do some defoliation. Just avoid windburn and they should do fine.
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Thanks buddy for the advice, really appreciate it. I know the plant raisers/elevators that you are talking about, they are great. Problem is the ones I can get locally are expensive, need 9 of them, especially the fancy ones that direct the run off where you want it. Can get cheaper ones online but then have to wait a couple of weeks, the fun of living in Australis haha. I have Improvised using 2x2 bits of wood as suggested by SoOrbudgal, and has turned out great so far.
      Thanks for the fan idea as well mate, used it to improve the tent in the last couple of days, check pictures below shortly if you have the time. Cheers

Hey everyone.

After receiving some advice from SoOrbudgal and UndergroundFarmer I have changed a couple of things in my 4x4 tent. First I cut 6 2'x2' bits of wood into 40' lengths, then wrapped and stapled left over panda film from my first grow around them, thought that might make them easier to keep clean. I now have all pots sitting on the lengths of wood across the top of flood tray. I have a wet vac for run off extraction when needed. I have also moved the bottom fan lower and turned it on, running along the wall only at the moment. Also changed the globe to a old school 600w MH, it was the only MH globe they had in stock. I started the light 40' from pot rim for 24hrs and have now lowered it to 36'. All seedlings seem to have responded well to the new light so far.

By the time I woke up on the 26/07 all 3 Skywalker Kush had broken ground. I took the cups off them and let them adjust to the environment for 24hrs and planted them in their final pots the next morning. As the other 2 Chimp Glue seeds haven't popped, I have planted the 4th Gelato#41 seedling in the 9th pot. So the grow will start with 4 x Gelato#41, 3 x Skywalker Kush and 2 x Chimp Glue. I'm just glad that I got to start the grow with 9 seedlings like I wanted.

I have been alternating feedings with pH'd water then one with light nutrients. The nutrients/additives (Professors Nutrients) I have been using are Go Roots 0.25ml/L Go Green 2ml/L and A+B 0.7ml/L. This gives me a EC of 0.6. I am only giving around 100ml when feeding/watering around each seedling with a spoon, and slightly misting the medium closer to the rim of the pot when it dries out. I plan on doing this for around 7 to 10 days, does that sound right to you .. the good people of this forum?

Thank you for your time, and look forward to any advice or feedback on the grow. Cheers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by newbutoldgrower75; 07-27-2021, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
      UndergroundFarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice job! DiY done right makes me smile.

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Thanks buddy. First real DIY since I built the tent from the first grow. Cheers

I have no knowledge of those ferts/nutes but your set up looks good. I also don't have experience with MH lamps but love the raised area.

indoor/outdoor grower
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Thank you SoOrbudgal .. your idea saved me some money that I can put towards a new light for this tent🙂. After another 40+ hours researching, maybe a slight exaggeration there lol, I think I'm back on the right path with my nutes and light height. Cheers

Hey everyone.

Just a quick update on Grow 4. The Gelato#41 and Chimp Glue seedlings broke ground 1 week 1 day ago (1/08 here today) and the Skywalker Kush are 6 days since breaking ground. All plants seem to have responded well to the nutrients and the MH light, Skywalker Kush seedlings stretched a bit. The nutrients are still being mixed to EC 0.6, and will slowly raise it to 0.8 over the next week, will only use pH'd water every second watering until they adjust to a stronger feeding. From yesterday(31/07) all plants will have a feeding/watering every second day to runoff, approximately 1L per plant. The height of the light is now at 33" from tops of seedlings, and will lower to 30" over the next few days watching for a reaction from seedlings. Temps have been ok sitting at around 23°C during lights on, humidity has been a little low sitting between 48% and 52%. But weather is slowly improving here.

I got a new watering device today to make life easier for me and my plants(in pic below). As I have had a couple of operations/procedures done in the last 12+ months on my back/neck, I thought this will help take some strain off my back watering the seedlings/autos in this tent while I heal. As I have access to all three openings of the tent, I can sit down on a chair and just lean over slightly and water. Love the cup thing on the end as well, can direct the nutrients and not get any on the leaves.
    Had my first casualty in the tent today as well, my temp/humidity monitor decided to go for a swim in the runoff while watering this morning lol, check picture. Currently in rice trying to dry it out, otherwise its another trip to the hydro shop tomorrow.

I have uploaded some pics taken today of the seedlings, and the new toy I got today. Any help/advice on how these seedlings are progressing, and the grow in general, would greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by newbutoldgrower75; 08-07-2021, 09:03 AM. Reason: Corrected watering frequency

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Puglover1. The cup is working great on the sprayer, definitely getting less nutrients on the leaves when feeding haha😉. The tent is getting there, hoping to update the light by next grow, maybe sooner hopefully. Just used the lights from first grow and updated the globes.
      My Hygrometer survived, the rice worked a treat. Would like to know more about the salt test when you have the time, never heard of it and very interested. Cheers

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      newbutoldgrower75 I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrA5fxAOZA8

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Puglover1 Thank you for the link, what a great idea. Going to test both Hygrometer's tonight.

I dig your set-up my dear grower friend
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Thanks buddy .. appreciate the compliment. Still jealous of your grow room though mate .. 10ft ceiling(drooling emoji). Cheers

I think it looks outstanding! No advise for your babies they look better than mine did. I put 2 of those trays in my room when I first built it for soil. All we grew was bugs. Took out the tables, left the trays when I switched to hydo. Seems easier to keep everything sanitized.
    DIY 4x12 Farmacy box w/2 4x4x6 grow areas
    TrolMaster HydroX runs the whole show
    Dual tank Co2 injection w/ rain tubing
    10000 btu thru the wall A/C / 5000 btu heater
    50 pint dehumidifier/ cool mist humidifier
    8" intake fan w/ hepa filter / 8" exhaust fan
    2 Timber Fatty-vs COB 950 watt draw fixtures
    w/ added 4 2ft T5 Pure UV bulbs on each fix.
    2 DIY Hybrid DWC 5 gal bubble bucket systems w/ 55 gal reservoirs w/ PH dosers
    2 2"x2"cyl.stones in each bucket, 8"disk in reservoirs
    GH Flora series (entire line) + Orca
    Grow 3 = Blueberry 1 dwc 1 soil.
    . Cherry pie 1 dwc 1 soil
    Soil is great lakes "just add water" in 7 gal fabric bags

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Thank you mate .. appreciate those kind words. I think the trays are a great idea and less work when it comes to extracting the run off. I agree, does seem easier when it comes to Cleaning/sanitizing the tent. How's your grow going, get on top of the DWC problem?

• Smoklahoma
      Smoklahoma commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty sure I got a handle on the funk that was growing, hose filter was the culprit. Grow is doing ok I guess. Working out little issues here and there from my inexperience that I have created.

Hey everyone.

I first want to point out that I have made a mistake in the above post about feeding frequency, it should be every second day not everyday. I apologise for the mistake and will edit it once I finish this post, its been a hectic couple of weeks.

I don't have too much say about the last few days as I have been away for tests/scans, rehabilitation etc. My roommate has been looking after my grows while I have been away, and he has done pretty well in this tent as far as I can see. The plants have grown and don't seem to have any deficiencies etc .. not like my other grow tent (refer to grow 3). My roommate has been feeding them nutrients at an EC 0.8 every second day .. I hope haha. They are looking healthy and I think are growing well, Gelato#41 and Chimp glue are 14 days since breaking ground + Skywalker Kush are 12 days old. The plants are starting to look a little pale but healthy, so will start upping the nutes to EC 1.0 from tomorrow. The light is at 30" from canopy and will lower it another 2 inches over the next few days watching for any signs of light stress. The Skywalker Kush seemed to have stretched a bit more than other strains but seem to be settling down a bit. I have also noticed something strange on two of the plants, thinking its genetics. Can you see what I'm talking about(check out pics below)? Humidity and temps having been too bad .. HIGH temp 24.7°C humidity 63% LOW temp 17.3° humidity 45%.

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated as always. Cheers.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey everyone.

Just a bit of an update on the past week for this grow. Today the Gelato#41 and Chimp Glue are 21 days from breaking ground, and the Skywalker Kush are 19 days from breaking ground. I am still feeding the plants nutrients to around EC 0.8-0.9 and they seem to be liking it. I have also introduced Grow Fast to the feeding schedule at 2.5ml/L, and lowered A+B intake to compensate for the additive. The plants have been getting a feeding every second day, but will be upping that to everyday over the next week as they are starting to drink a lot more. I have moved the light down to 25" from canopy, and will move 1-2" more over the next few days. Temperatures have improved slightly over the last week, humidity is still up and down unfortunately .. HIGH 24.2°C humidity 59% LOW 18.7°C humidity 42%.

So I decided to do something today that I wasn't going to do this grow, I topped 3 of the Auto's. I know most people advise not to top for your first Auto grow, but I like living on the edge a little .. hahaha. And you will never guess what song I started singing while sanitizing the scissors etc and while topping the plants .. Highway To The Danger Zone from Top Gun, sorry had to share that.. But I think it was successful, will let you know in a couple of days lol. The plants I topped were 2 x Gelato#41 and 1x Chimp Glue, plan on topping one or two of the Skywalker Kush in the next day or two also(they are younger). I have also done a little LST on a couple of them, which I probably should have done a bit earlier but thought I would give it a go anyway.

The pics below are taken first thing this morning just as the lights came on, before their feeding. I will upload more pics of the plants topped etc in the next couple of days. As always .. any feedback/advice/opinions and constructive criticism welcome. Cheers
      Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        When autos look as healthy as yours topping only improves the outcome. Leaving rest period and observing the plants reactions. Just know these will snap very easily so use caution, it's gonna happen so don't worry when it does it will feel awful LOL but like i've said if they are healthy they'll grow onward and give you a harvest. Just go very easy till you got the feel of them. I've topped and LST most all my autos just use smaller tie downs. They look great

• newbutoldgrower75
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the advice and compliment🙂 SoOrbudgal. After a bit of research on topping Auto's I thought I would at least give it a go, was a little nervous doing it though😉. I'm not planning to do much else to the plants after topping other than a little LST, taking your advice and going easy on them until I get the feel of them. They seem pretty healthy and seem to be enjoying the light more as I lower it, think I should have started lowering it a bit earlier than what I did.

I am a bit anxious about defoliation on Auto's, don't want to ruin the grow by taking the wrong leaf. Some of the bigger leaves are touching the rim of the pot before lights out, should I just trim the tips of the leaves back or snip the whole leaf off? This is really the only thing I'm unsure of at this present time with the grow, don't want to make a mistake at this stage. Don't think I have been so anxious before about a grow lol. I appreciate your help and advice once again, you have been a wealth of advice/help during all my grows. Cheers

No those leaves are needed at least i think so right now. In another week recheck those larger fans sometimes i pin down those leaf with the branch until they grow height then you could take it off readjust the tie down.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
        Editing a comment
        I didn't think it was a good idea to touch any leaves at this stage, thank you for clarifying that for me🙂. I will wait another week and see where i am at with the fan leaves, great idea pinning them with the branch. The fan leaves seem alright during the day, just seems at night and first thing in the morning that they are drooping a bit, sleepy time I guess. All plants seem to have taken to the topping ok, didn't seem to put them into shock or anything, but could be too soon to tell I guess. Thanks SoOrbudgal, truly appreciate your help and advice. Cheers

Plants look really good newbutoldgrower75 - only problem I can foresee is the untopped plants will grow taller than the topped ones - or maybe not - autoflowers can be finicky.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the compliment Sir, appreciate it. Your Autoflower Training Tutorial post is one of the reasons I started really looking at growing Auto's, and has been a part of my research since. Thank you for taking the time to make it buddy.

I thought about the height distance between the non topped plants and the topped before topping the plants. I ended up topping the tallest and thought I could raise the topped if the canopy's aren't even. If things get to out of control in the tent, I'm looking at making a space in the Photo tent(6x6) just incase. The only problem with the Photo tent is I will be flipping the plants in the next two weeks (hopefully), so light schedule will be 12/12.

Thanks for stopping by mate, appreciate the comment and feedback. Cheers.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X