Yellowing issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellowing issues?

One of my neighbors was going to throw away a couple of clones a couple of months ago than had prematurely flowered, so I took them and simply planted them in the farthest corners of my yard. The finally reveged after about 8 weeks and were growing nicely until we were deluged by rain a few weeks ago for about 10 straight days. The new growth turned almost light yellow (almost white), which I assumed was from an over watering situation. The subsequent new growth turned back to normal color of green until I checked on them a few days ago and the new growth was turning light yellow again. (the difference this time being that there has been no sizable rain the past couple of weeks. I've thoroughly checked for pests (there are none) and have juiced them a touch each week with a half dose of Fox Farm nutes since I got them. Any idea what could be causing the yellowing? I have attached pictures of both. The yellowing on the first plant is a bit more advanced than the 2nd. Both plants get a healthy mix of sun and shade.

Could easily just be a Ph issue?
    But what is the PH?
    could also be a nutrients deficiency- as it’s switching to veg after flower again.
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• soonboomer
      soonboomer commented
      Editing a comment
      It's outdoors and gets rainwater only.

Often during early to mid preflower those tops will lighten looks like they are trying to preflower again? Is it in a really hot area? It's amazing how much water these can take in the ground. If you had someway of putting a top layer of worm casings scratch it in abit in soil water really well?
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
      UndergroundFarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      I second that. I just started using worm castings with coco and now I'm wondering why everybody doesn't.
      You should also make sure the neighbors behind that fence aren't using weed killers that are running off in your garden.

• soonboomer
      soonboomer commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been using Fox Farms Big Bloom once a week on them. Two main ingredients are worm castings and bat guano. My yard slopes down hill in both corners, so no danger of run off into my yard. Other than the coloring, the plants appear to be healthy, Heading into a predicted long stretch of hot, dry weather so I'll watch closely and baby them as much as I can. Thanks to all for the input.

• UndergroundFarmer
      Editing a comment
      Good to know about Big Bloom! I remember the heat from back when I lived in Indian Territory. I hope they flourish despite it.

FF Big Bloom is good also. So is Monterey Fish/Guano liquid and Alaska Fish.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Yes Alaskan fish is a good nutrient.
      Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
      Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
      Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
      Full auto grow
      Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
      12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

Here are some better pictures (from the top of the plants). Fertilized them again yesterday. Other than the yellowing at the top, I think they're looking fairly decent. The first plant was marked AK-47 and the second one as Black Widow.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Well something is wrong with the tops they look bad in pic #1 the 2nd one not as bad. But that AK is a strugglen. If it were mine here's what i'd do now. Stop the food as you've said they been fed now 2x since it's yellowed? What does the soil have in it??

They are in opposite corners of my backyard in old flower beds. When I transplanted them from the original pots, I dug out pretty big holes and lined the holes with 5-6 inches of Ocean Forest soil on bottom and around all sides. Like I stated earlier, they had flowered early (that's why the neighbor got rid of them), so I let them grow and reveg. They were going great until we got about 10 days straight of rain and not much sun. That's when they started to yellow like that the first time. Sun came out for a couple of weeks and new growth went back to normal appearance. No more rain since that time, but about a week ago, new growth started to yellow again. That's where they are now. Feeding schedule has been about once a week all along.

Comment

With all the rain we have had, is/was the ground soaked? (you may well have root issues) This is why I use raised beds rather than go into the ground.
          Also whats your PH? It could be they are having trouble eating from the soil and its showing in the leaf.
          What is the soil around them, not what you put in but what was there? There are a lot of soil types here, sandy, red clay, black gumbo etc..

Comment

The ground was definitely soaked for almost two weeks. I just thought it was odd that they started turning yellow right at the end of the rainy period we had, after a short time started to veg normally after the rain ended when it got hot and sunny, and now is yellowing again. The plant in the 2nd photo is already turning back to normal and looks like it's going to be OK, but the plant in the first picture is still making new growth that is yellowish green. As for the soil, we had a load of commercial soil hauled in years ago to make flower beds. Nothing special, and the two plants are in opposite ends of a flower bed that is about 4 feet wide and runs the length of my back fence. Not sure what the PH is.I didn't know if I should cut the yellow growth off the 2nd plant or just ride it out. I don't really know what I could do if it is root issues. It's not really a huge issue if it doesn't make it as I've probably got more on my plate than I can handle without it. My outdoor potted plants are all doing really good. (knock on wood). Thanks for the input.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking at them now seems like they are doing well in the pots, it's that stubborn AK. Yes i bet alot of sunshine will help bring her back and get into a more normal wet allow to dry pattern. All that yellow growth though is making preflower or getting ready too. I would not remove it unless it's dead. Just give it some food with more PK minerals but easy going on it to start, it needs abit of N but i think she's searching for more PK?

I'll bet you have root issues from the wet (BTDT), we are going to dry a bit over the next week so maybe you could give her some Voodoo Juice or other root boosting product.
            A digital PH meter will be your best tool, I had PH issues at the end of my grow last year and bought a $300+ PH meter which I find very useful, does soil and liquids. Your local Ag center can do a test of the soil for $10-20, tell them you grow hemp if you wish or tomatoes as MJ is not fed legal yet and they are fed backed. Once you know where the soil is at, you can make positive changes.
            As for the yellow leaves give them a light tug, if they come off easy take them, if not leave them to feed the plant. Remove dead leaves.
            Are you feeding a bloom booster or planing to?
            I myself went to raised beds to get my roots up out of the rains when they are to damn much, dont complain we could be having whats going on out west.
            Attached Files

Comment

• soonboomer
              soonboomer commented
              Editing a comment
              From the looks of the terrain, you're probably in the eastern part of the state....but I could, of course, be wrong. I have family in McAlester and the dirt there is nice and dark brown, unlike this lovely red clay that dominates west of I-35.

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              That red grows well though, or is it just water melons? LOL I am near Sapulpa or Tulsa, and all I have is blow sand from that thing they called a dust bowl.

• soonboomer
              soonboomer commented
              Editing a comment
              That red clay really holds water. I don't like to deal with it.

I just got back from the grow supply store. An old timer looked at the pictures and he said 100% sure it was an iron deficiency. I checked this site and found this picture. Looks spot on to me. I picked up an iron supplement there and will give it a try.

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
              Editing a comment
              You wouldn't think that could happen in red dirt, would you?

• soonboomer
              soonboomer commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd believe anything at this point. This is only my second grow, so I've probably got more than a few lessons coming my way.

I've been treating the two plants with the iron supplement, and one of them (the black widow) has completely bounced back while the more affected of the two (AK-47), has shown slight but minimal improvement. I'm probably being impatient, so we'll stay the course and give it more time. About 3 more days of the expected heat dome until temps and humidity take a dive for a while. Good luck to all.

Comment

AK-47 is slowly making a comeback. After 2 weeks of iron supplements and flowering nutes, new growth is getting more green and, more importantly, more healthy looking. Keep on keepin' on.

Comment

After a month of treatment, AK47 is headed in the right direction. Right at 5 feet tall but still very early in flower development.

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
                  Editing a comment
                  It looks so much better. I'm sure that Oklahoma sun is to its liking too.

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well done on the recovery soonboomer man that's alittle nerve racking but fella you pulled her ahead. It's OK i'm in the same place with my 4 outdoor plants. 3 have true budlets and 1 still in late preflower. This is the hard part LOL waiting, tending to keeping them healthy free from major issues. Find something to provide cover in case of rain, i stick a canopy up or i have to drag them in an out of garage. Great looking plants patience LOL

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X