The Evolution of my Scrog Net Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Evolution of my Scrog Net Setup

When planning to grow I decided on a 3' x 6' foot print for my grow. Built a 3x6 level platform and scrog net/frame setup. This worked well for the one tote of my first grow shown in 1st picture. My second grow I had 3 totes under it and found this setup wasn't user friendly. With 3 totes it was hard to get under and do any defoliation and the plastic netting shown in pic 2 had openings that were larger than I wanted. I decided to cut original frame and turn it into 3 separate frames shown in pic 3. Knowing I'd need a way to mount them and having dealt with the previous grows P I A defoliation under the scrog I came up with the trolleys and struts to support the scrog frames. As for the plastic scrog net with 5 inch openings I took some builders twine and strung the frames with 4 inch openings. Through the next few grows I found lifting the lids with scrog frame rigidly mounted the top of the colas would hit the netting when still under the net, and while working to spread them out during training I would occasionally tear off a leaf or bud site. Lifting the lid with this setup would also scar the stems as they rubbed past the string, it also made it hard to do reservoir change or PH checks. I also found the string I was using was easily accidentally cut by trimming shears when the blades came into contact with it I have 1 frame I switched to using wire that my clones are currently through, sorry no pic of it but it has worked well and be switching all my frames to it. Now for last 4 pictures. A few months back I came up with the design and bought the steel and over last couple of weeks as life allowed I got it cut drilled bent and 4 of the 6 frames I'm making welded together. I called this morning and the stainless steel hardware was in so was able to get the first one assembled today. Decided to try the scrog frame fit and found I'll have to drill a couple of new holes in the scrog frames for mounting but using mini clamps to keep it in place and with a bunch of tools on it to represent plant weight there is no lid distortion when lifting it like would be done doing a PH check of solution change. Now for a heads up to anyone who may want to steal this idea this project is costing me 80 usd per lid but could be made for about 35 usd with a few changes but mainly only using stainless steel fasteners for the 8 actual frame to lid attachment points. Everything else is for when training young plants before they're ready for the scrog net frame and could easily be replaced with binder clips like shown in picture 5.

Trying to wrangle lids, plants and nets while growing in totes inspired me to check out RDWC where the only lid I have to lift much is the reservoir. I'm now to the point where loss of access to the plants once they get large in the scrog nets may drive me to all coco grows eventually.

That is a better solution than anything I ever had the initiative to build back in my tote days, though.
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• Poppa
      Poppa commented
      Editing a comment
      Access to all parts of my plants is why I incorporated the trolleys they originally allowed me to pull them out or move to the side which was okay but not great. After learning to clone I switched to only having 2 totes under the lights in my room at a time. This took the ability to access the plants to a whole new level by being able to rotate each setup it allows me to set in one place and turn the part of plant I want to reach to face me. When I worked for a living I'd say work smarter not harder now I just say I'm a lazy fucker. When first doing research I had thought about RDWC but it occurred to me that if I had a problem in one tote it could easily be transmitted to the others by shared reservoir so I kept each tote separate. Now I'm glad I did due to inability to rotate the setups if linked while doing plant maintenance.

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Poppa, no lazy fucker would construct this setup. Doubt they’d even try it lol The ability to pull a single plant and rotate it around to make things easier isn’t necessary for a successful grow but SO much easier. Life is hard enough, keep working smarter buddy!

If I use a big screen like that I LST everything low low low until flower then strip it and place the screen. Much easier

Man with this setup running hydro I can’t wait to see the results 😱 should produce huge tops 😁
    Last edited by bboyfromwayback; 06-29-2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Poppa
      Poppa commented
      Editing a comment
      LST is where the eye bolts and binder clips come into play. I'll run wire between them giving me a low scrog to help with early training and keeping growth low while spreading it out.

Was able to get some work done on one of the new setups today. Started with locating a feed port, had originally planed to run a tube from scrog frame to the port. But with it located near front of lid I can connect either the funnel or tube run from pump I use when doing nutrient solution with ease. Got the long wires run but once I started to run the short ones found one would be in the way of connecting to the feed port the way I was attaching them for the moment. Elected to turn the eye bolts for that one and attach wire like originally planed. It's a little higher than I want but should work for now and once I have lids free and time to add threads on the shank up to the eye it should clear port and be height I want. I'll knock another out tomorrow along with getting 2 totes ready for the 4 plants I started a couple of weeks back.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I gotta whole heartadly agree with how well you've made this setup Poppa what a great build no you sure ain't no lazy ass

• Poppa
      Poppa commented
      Editing a comment
      The lazy ass part of my post is basically a running joke between my kid, grand kids, friends and neighbors. For me it's a mental health thing. I have to work on something productive everyday or my mind keeps me awake at night thinking I've wasted the day and about what I could have accomplished.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X