Hide Yo clones, Hide Yo mammas....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Hide Yo clones, Hide Yo mammas....

Well, crap. Guess it's time to get a mosquito net tarp and cover these ladies up.....dangit! Grasshoppers were the bane of my existence last summer. Now they're voracious???

I know that headline may seem a bit over the top, but these things really are happening.  We really are in the midst of a multi-year “megadrought” in the western half of the country, meteorologists really are warning that we could see the worst heatwave that the Northwest has ever experienced next week, and a plague of “voracious grasshoppers” has already started in some parts of the nation. 

"
    A punishing drought in the U.S. West is drying up waterways, sparking wildfires and leaving farmers scrambling for water. Next up: a plague of voracious grasshoppers.

Federal agriculture officials are launching what could become their largest grasshopper-killing campaign since the 1980s amid an outbreak of the drought-loving insects that cattle ranchers fear will strip bare public and private rangelands.
    "
    Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

How awful to have the " swarm " in your backyard
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Maybe a Western Tanager will be your savior like in "A Bug's Life".
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

I actually built an 8x8x8 tent with screen made out of PVC. I don’t want to deal with caterpillars, grasshoppers, and any other insects. I have diatomaceous earth all around the pots inside because I saw ants making their way in but now they are gone. I see green lacewings at night so I’m going to catch me a few and throw in there so they can keep an eye out for pests for me. Also will be out catching praying mantis and lady bugs. I’m going to have that tent filled with as many pest predators as possible. A good top dress with castings from my worm bin shall add a lot of beneficial insects as well like rove beetles Cucumeris and other predator mites I see in there. Have to be ready for the heat wave and the bugs that come with. Good luck out there.

Comment

Praying mantis, the Chinese ones will chase down these hoppers, there is also something that makes them sterile (IDR what it is). I now nothing 'bout these folks, only what you see on their site.
          Praying Mantis Egg Cases for Sale at our Mantid Shop - Buy Online

Comment

• Floopydoop
            Floopydoop commented
            Editing a comment
            Released an egg case a while ago. Then the gardener came with his blowy thing. Haven't seen a single mantis

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X