Outdoor grow, bug bites but still doing ok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor grow, bug bites but still doing ok

Hi, first time grower, absolute newb, I have 5 plants in an outdoor poly house and they seem to be doing well.

TL;DR:
    If the plants in general are thriving, but have lots of bug bites on 10% of leaves, do I need to take action or just keep a close eye for eggs and bugs making a home?

For the last 5 weeks 2 plants have yellow spots that develop into holes. At first I thought it was septoria (that took out my tomatoes last year). They look like something sucked them (yellow spot) and then over time the hole appears. I am guessing bugs but I am pretty sure nothing is laying eggs or infesting.

They are basically outside as windows are open every day. I get flies and ants wandering in but nothing obvious like aphids that are in other parts of the garden (honeysuckle and roses).
    I have looked with magnifying glass all over and don't see any mites. Spiders have set up home and hopefully will bring balance.
    Seems wrong to hang up fly paper outdoors. Immoral or at least entrapment

Amnesia Lemon Kush (60% Sativa and 40% Indica)
    17 Gallon pot
    Soil & garden compost
    Minimal training, 4 topped, 1 natural / late topped
    Germinated mid-Feb, repotted a few times
    Wet and cold UK early summer, but in ploy tunnel to control water & get some heat. May was cold but June is nice, very long days at 54 degrees north (same as Quebec without the sun!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bug1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	521786

I grow outdoors every summer in Portugal.
    And honestly I don’t do anything when I have bugs unless it’s killing the plant. But if the plant still grow by every day I don’t care.
    every morning when I go out to check on them, maybe a new leaf have been eaten by a grasshopper, but only a small section of the leaf and they grasshopper is no where to be find.
    leaf hopper damage I have also, but again I won’t spray my plants just for that to be honest…

inside a tent is another matter and I would do it differently, but not outside
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Facts are outside you will get bug damage, as long as its not out of control all is good. Things like ladybugs and praying mantis will be your best helpers. Dont discount those ants, they farm aphids.

Comment

Thanks folks - very reassuring!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X