Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transplanting directly in ground or in pots

I am in doubt.
    My plan was to transplant directly in the ground(dig a hole put my soil in and transplant)
    But I read some stuff online that people dont trust planting directly in ground( Moles, pests)
    So.... Im not sure should I put big pots in ground, or some paper bags to make "mold" for plants.
    I've seen alot of ants and some unknown bugs in my yard...I Just wanted to ask for opinion. better to ask than to make mistake

Don’t put right into the ground. How big you planning this plants to be? You should use fabric pots but the size depends on the size you want the final plant to be.

Leaf cutter ants can kill an entire plant in a couple of nights so beware

Comment

• Cunjo420
      Cunjo420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tbh I am already late. Summer is starting they are very small. just topped them at 6 nodes. I already put 1 plant in pot inside ground and I put 1 plant directly in ground. I got 2,3 plants left but they are smaller and I have to buy more soil. It wasnt enough.
      If you rememeber my last year pot for skunk XL I am sure you replied to some of my posts. I used the same one Im not sure is it like 40 or 50 liter

9fingerleafs here it is from last year.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nothing wrong with planting directly in the ground, if you have the soil and conditions for it. Moles wont be any issue, pocket gophers may if you have them.
      I use raised beds, not exactly in the ground, but not exactly in a pot either.
      The first was a 500 or so gallon tank, just cut slices and fill with soil, the second is an old pool, the first started with 13 plants in 130 gallons of soil, 5 males removed (after letting 1 have his way).

Comment

These are some old pics, but they were directly in the ground.

Comment

• Cunjo420
          Cunjo420 commented
          Editing a comment
          dayum, that is some serious growing well I have max 2 months of veg still left so I will be happy with 200-300 g per plant even that is okay for the time I have. we dont have gophers since they are in America and Im from Europe. I grow Ilegall so I will try to keep them small bushy. well yo uare talking about hundreds of galons but I wont have even half for all of my plants xD. I just hope no rootbound and no pests will ruin my plants since I battle aphids and ants all the time

• Cunjo420
          Cunjo420 commented
          Editing a comment
          but that is smart thing to do. Like when you said Slices you meant that you have more plants in 1 pot(raised bed) but you like divide that pot in 13 smaller ones?

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          No divides inside, for this grow I want the roots to mingle so the plants can talk to each other. Theory is that you get less males if they can talk to each other. I did get less than 50% males, and have each time I tried this method.
          For aphids get ladybugs, they will eat them and make more little ladybugs. Then do some homework and build them a motel so they can winter.

I think you could use a 10 gallon pot if you plan on watering often or even a bigger one if you can’t be monitoring every day

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          I grow those 6ft plants in 7 gal and they need water twice a day during hot summer days. Can only retain 2-3 liters per watering and drink 5 a day

• Cunjo420
          Cunjo420 commented
          Editing a comment
          20 30 would be too much. I can water everyday so Ill stick with small ones, Less space less work less soil needed. thanks alot for feedback

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          The flip side is you will also need to feed them so the soil doesn't deplete.

Unless your goal is a mega harvest, I would recommend using pots. Just easier to be able to move them if the need arises. Shift in light, storm coming etc.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Cunjo420
          Cunjo420 commented
          Editing a comment
          you're right. Last year storm flipped over my pot and plant smacked on the floor and stayed overnight like that. Im happy It survived

• Ckbrew
          Ckbrew commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya, when a storm comes and knocks them over just leave them until the storm passes.

• Cunjo420
          Cunjo420 commented
          Editing a comment
          I wasnt home lol in morning saw it on the floor

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X